topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 10:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1 to release on 22FEB  (Read 2761 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 7 SP1 to release on 22FEB
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:53 PM »
As much as I hate to link to betanews articles, here it goes.

Contrary to reports which said they were released in January Microsoft today announced that Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 were released to OEM partners today, and the updates will be available to consumers on February 22.

As we've known since back in June when the first beta invites went out for SP1, this is a very minor release. However, the RemoteFX and Dynamic Memory virtualization features in Windows Server are especially noteworthy this time around.

With the release of SP1 today, Microsoft devoted some time to talking about a pair of new features that Windows 7 users can look forward to in the near future: Windows Thin PC (WinTPC) and Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM.)

Windows Thin PC is a smaller, stripped-down version of Windows 7 especially designed for repurposing old PCs and feature-strapped devices into Windows 7 thin clients. This will not require a VDA license that normal thin clients do to access virtual desktops, and it will be available some time within the first quarter of this year.

Source

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 7 SP1 to release on 22FEB
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:02 PM »
Hehe...that's my birthday.  Too bad I only have Win7 running in a VM.   :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 7 SP1 to release on 22FEB
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:47 PM »
If you haven't hit your thumb twiddling quota, join us on this forum hanging around until W8 arrives:

http://www.eightforums.com/

:)

edit: btw I frequently suggest people on Vista, Windows7 and W8 forums check out donationcoder, esp. Coding Snacks.  So it's a cross pollination thingy. :)