topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Android tablets to rival iPad  (Read 65244 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android tablets to rival iPad
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2011, 11:55 AM »
My options were to either finger the thing or try talking to it.

Ummm... did you buy it dinner first?  :-[

Well here's something Android has that iWhatever doesn't...
Sentience!
(I know it's on a Motorola phone, not a tablet device, but it's entertaining nonetheless...)
3 days to go!!

Hmmm... it seems that it's a sentient troll or something.  It's already been banned.  ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2011, 02:55 PM »

Ummm... did you buy it dinner first?  :-[

Nope, went straight for a quicky and ended up frustrating both of us. But is ain't my fault the moody bitch wasn't ready on command.

( :-\ ...too far?)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2011, 03:25 PM »

Ummm... did you buy it dinner first?  :-[

Nope, went straight for a quicky and ended up frustrating both of us. But is ain't my fault the moody bitch wasn't ready on command.

( :-\ ...too far?)

I think that line was sprinted over.  ;D

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2011, 04:32 PM »
maybe even a bit pre-mature...   :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2011, 04:59 PM »
My GF just smiled and rolled her eyes.  ;D :P

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2011, 05:14 PM »
I always find it amusing that the Palm Pilot figured out the handwriting issue ages ago with its Grafiti alphabet and interface - and nobody has brought it over to any of the new tablets or smartphones.

Graffiti is available for androids. .... I use it on a desire hd (works good) and installed it on my android tablet (don't like it so much)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33 PM »
Apparently Graffiti is available for many platforms:
http://en.wikipedia....affiti_%28Palm_OS%29

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Well guys, check this out:
At work, I've been assigned to play with our new tablets.  Since I already have an ipad and am bored with it, I decided to get my hands on the androids.  So I'm playing around with the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and the ASus eee pad transformer.

Anything you guys would like to know?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2011, 06:02 PM »

Yeah, do the Samsung and/or Asus feel as 'fluent' as the iPad, in normal use?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2011, 02:02 AM »

Yeah, how long until you got bored with the iPad? :D

I'm still without a tablet and was waiting for the Galaxy 10.1 (it's still not available in Switzerland, like I anticipated here. It's now scheduled for sometime in October). Actually, the iPad is now becoming an option for me again, as soon as iOS 5 is out, the reason being that it will then be possible to use it as a standalone device (don't want iTunes).

What's your opinion about the Samsung's performance (in terms of fluency of operation, starting apps, etc.) compared to the iPad?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06 AM »

Yeah, do the Samsung and/or Asus feel as 'fluent' as the iPad, in normal use?
No, definitely not.  It's obvious that it's a more complicated interface.  If you are not a computer person (i.e. you would call someone if you're internet wasn't working, etc.) you will very easily get lost in these Android interfaces.  The swiping effects are significantly less fluid than an ipad.  All that touch stuff is less responsive than the ipad, which is like uber-responsive.  I'm saying it, the touch effects of the ipad is perfect...I really have no complaints about it.

That being said, it's not that bad.  If you consider all the advantages you get with Android, like, well, freedom...it's really a toss up.  Freedom vs. feels awesome to use.  I mean, at least I can connect to my pc and transfer files back and forth and use those files in whatever app I choose.  To do the same on the ipad requires all sorts of workarounds and jailbreaking.

But for me, if I were to buy one today, I'd choose the Samsung over the ipad.  But I'm really hoping for a nice Windows tablet.  However, if Windows and Apple continue to go down the roads they are going, I may just switch over to Linux.  but if that is too harsh of a change for me, I may just give up on computing and software as a passion and focus on other things.  It's the freedom I want, but not without the modern conveniences.  If the only way to get freedom is to open a command line, I'm done with computers.  Then it's just an appliance to me.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46 AM »
I have the Transformer and am generally pleased with it. I bought it with the keyboard dock, but would have preferred it to the Sammy even without for the simple reason that it has a number of expansion ports and HDMI out. The Samsung is gorgeous, thin, and light, but there are no expansion ports save the proprietary Samsung port that charges the unit and is able to receive adapters a la the iPad. The Samsung keyboard dock adds nothing to the unit beyond the keyboard; the Transformer keyboard adds a trackpad, 2 USB ports, a full SD/MMC port and an extra battery. I paid $496 for the combo; the same capacity Samsung without the keyboard retails for $499 here and the keyboard is an accessory I haven't seen in stores but which is $80 on the Samsung site. The HDTV dongle is $40 and the USB host dongle another $40. I have played with the Tab in stores alongside the other tablets and it seems pretty comparable in performance. The one unique thing about the Samsung offering, to my mind, is what they've done with Honeycomb. Almost none of the other tablet makers have done much to skin Honeycomb but Samsung has made some changes/improvements that I like.

I think if I wanted a straight consumer device, I'd probably have gone with the galaxy because of its dimensions and weight. However, my Transformer fills that role when undocked very nicely. It's certainly comparable to other Android tablets in terms of form factor and comfort (I've also used for extended periods the Xoom and the Acer A500 and W500). i suspect the Samsung is a step above and beyond these though due to its ergonomics (again, weight and thickness). Superboyac is in a much better position to comment on this, though.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2011, 01:50 PM »
The main advantage of the Samsung is the thin and light form factor, and in that regard, the 8.9 sounds like a better choice when it becomes available, with the same or better capabilities and screen resolution in a slightly smaller package, weighing less than 1 lb.

For my part, I decided to order a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (32GB).  It is certainly bigger and heavier than the Samsung 10.1, but it includes a full sized USB 2.0 port that supports input devices, flash drives and external hard disks,  a full sized SD card slot for memory expansion, and a digitizer pen that works across applications, in addition to HDMI and the usual micro USB.  A  folio case with a full ThinkPad keyboard is available for $100, although I did not order that at this time.

Lenovo has also substantially added to the stock Android interface, with a customizable fast app launcher, file manager (for attached storage, including through the USB port) and expanded settings. They also include some additional software like a full version of Documents to Go.

One thing that gives me comfort is that, like all other Think brand hardware, a full hardware maintenance manual can be downloaded from the Lenovo support site.  I'm one of those people who likes to know I can take something apart and put it back together, even if I may never actually need to do so.

I expect it to arrive next week and will give my impressions after I get to play with it for a while.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Everything Darwin says is pretty much right on.  There is a poweruser aspect to the Asus that I find attractive.  The Samsung is more of an ipad competitor in looks than anything else.  The Asus also has a larger "rooting" community which is cool, since I'm trying to root it and update the Android OS to the latest version, which is supposed to be much faster and responsive.  The Asus seems to be the best bang for teh buck at this point.

Still, these tablets are just not powerful enough for me.  I need to be able to interface more easily with my desktop applications.  I'd like to have a Windows tablet, really.  The rooters have been able to install Ubuntu on the ASus, so I may try that also.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2011, 11:45 AM »
100% agree with Superboyac - I am waiting with great hope and high expetcations for the next generation of Windows tablets running Windows 8. Android is frustrating because I can see the potential but the usability/power just isn't there yet.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I was going to bring the transformer home and play with it this weekend, but decided against it! ;D

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2011, 02:00 PM »
I hope that the next "Transfomer" won't be this brownish ugly.   :(  >:(  :(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I hope that the next "Transfomer" won't be this brownish ugly.   :(  >:(  :(

It's not *that* bad in the flesh... OK, it's not great, but it's bearable. Regarding the Transformer 2, given that the existing keyboard dock is supposed to be compatible with the Transformer 2 tablet, I'd be surprised if they deviate too much from the current colour scheme...

Regarding the Transformer, I just received a FW update that includes a new notetaking app from Asus. Haven't tried it yet but will do so now.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2012, 01:55 PM »
[deleted because I didn't notice from the beginning the proper date it first was launched]

But when I am at it, Samsung Galaxy Note version 2 has been launched:

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-2.jpg

http://www.coolpctip...reveal-on-august-15/