ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android tablets to rival iPad

<< < (19/24) > >>

Eóin:
That situation wraith is exactly Apples game. Their software distribution ties developers hands and locks you into Apples platform.

wraith808:
That situation wraith is exactly Apples game. Their software distribution ties developers hands and locks you into Apples platform.
-Eóin (July 29, 2011, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not Apple's game.  It's everyone's game.  No matter what platform you're on, you're locked into that platform once you start consuming it.  Whether the platform is a garden or a courtyard is no different- it's just the distance that you find yourself from the fence.

phitsc:
And here we go:
Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500 (that's the 10.1), the 16GB initially scheduled for end of July is now planned for end of August. The 32GB and 64GB initially scheduled for end of August are now beginning of September.

I'll get one for Christmas I guess :(

Stoic Joker:
Okay, follow-up to my earlier musings about voice activation.

I shanghaied the HP Slate for the weekend to see how well it preformed with the Windows 7 native voice command feature enabled. Being that the stylus was true to form (lost already) unavailable. My options were to either finger the thing or try talking to it.

I'll keep this short, it failed miserably. The embedded Mic did fine for "hearing" my voice, and it did open the program I asked it for correctly. But training it to do text input was pointless as it was incredibly slow. To quantify that imagine reading the above sentence aloud to it, and then wait about 7 seconds before it responded with any attempt at deciphering it.

This thing may have had a chance if HP made it faster ... but it's a $700.00 paper weight as far as I'm concerned.

Here's another test it failed miserably.

Go to TVGuide.com
Select what's on link
Configure location (zip code/provider name/channel package)
Then configure favorite channels list. (about 20 channels for me)

Due to the excessive lagging of the machine trying to render TV-Guides (granted horribly written) website, the above exorcise took just under an hour.

I'm going to recommend they send it back and invest the money in office supplies (pens & paper notepads).

40hz:
The handwrighting input, best I can tell, hates (me) left handed people. As we tend to start certain letters/numbers from the bottom (o, 3, 8, etc.) instead of the top ... and this thing was having none of it. Even after a training session on what was to be perceived as an 'o' damnit. It just couldn't get it right.
-Stoic Joker (July 28, 2011, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always find it amusing that the Palm Pilot figured out the handwriting issue ages ago with its Grafiti alphabet and interface - and nobody has brought it over to any of the new tablets or smartphones.

Guess in this era of software patents and lock-in, NIH rules supreme. Even if it means dismissing from consideration something that actually worked. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version