ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android tablets to rival iPad

<< < (18/24) > >>

wraith808:
In fairness, I don't think an arthritic southpaw is real close to the baseline they (or anybody else) targeted. So if one got used to it (and vise-versa...) I could see it being quite handy. Not sure where to put the stylus...but it's not that difficult to finger in a pinch.
-Stoic Joker (July 28, 2011, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was more the slowness that turned me off... a minute to the prompt?  My xp tablet does better than that...

Darwin:
I just returned an Acer Iconia A500. I liked it a lot - why did I return it, then? Because I don't see these Android tablets (or iPads?) as being more than toys at this stage. Honeycomb is slick and I could check e-mail, read the newspaper, etc. with ease. However, I'm not sure what this brings to the table above and beyond my smartphone and notebook computer. At this stage, the screen technology means that producing anything on it isn't an easy task unless you hook up an external keyboard. I don't buy into the Jobesian view of the tablet as being a tool for the consumption of media... $400 to 750 for what amounts to a big iPod Touch? For that kind of money I'm looking for more productivity.

Hidden in the above is the real reason: the price of even the cheaper Android tablets is hard to justify when balanced against what you can actually do with the things. Right now they are toys, and bloody expensive ones at that!

I'm REALLY excited about the possibilities suggested by what I've seen of Windows 8 so far... Will be watching developments there with interest.

superboyac:
I'm REALLY excited about the possibilities suggested by what I've seen of Windows 8 so far... Will be watching developments there with interest.
-Darwin (July 28, 2011, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
People are already dismissing Windows 8 as being too late to the party, or not being able to overcome the momentum of iOS and Android.  But I think Windows 8 is going to be the tablet answer for me.  I like my ipad, it's ok.  But it lacks so much in the way of configurability, even jailbroken.  Android is better in that respect, but still, my problem is that all my stuff is on Windows, and it would just be super duper convenient if the OS on the tablet was Windows also.  It's not that it's better, it's just that I need that low level compatibility so I can deal with my files, folders, and favorite software without any middlemen or hacks to bridge the gap.  I think Windows 8 is going to surprise people.

Stoic Joker:
Here's an odd thought. Due to the complexities of interacting with a tablet based device, why is it that none of them seem to include voice activation? It already exists in many smart phones; call X, go to link X, map address X. That would simplify the interaction greatly.

:-\

...Come to think of it, Windows 7 does include this as a configurable option. I gotta get that tablet back from the sales crew and see if/how well it does/will actually work.

wraith808:
I like my ipad, it's ok.  But it lacks so much in the way of configurability, even jailbroken.  Android is better in that respect, but still, my problem is that all my stuff is on Windows, and it would just be super duper convenient if the OS on the tablet was Windows also.  It's not that it's better, it's just that I need that low level compatibility so I can deal with my files, folders, and favorite software without any middlemen or hacks to bridge the gap.
-superboyac (July 28, 2011, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

We've had a different experience, and I'm not sure why.  I use my iPad for the majority of my document work.  With just a couple of apps, my text editing (also using markdown) is synchronized with my desktop, my other documents are synchronized over google documents, and my keyboard case means that I can edit where ever I want.  While it is true that they are different in terms of the software, the functionality is still there, which is what matters to me.  The only thing that I need now is a mouse solution for when I sit down to do work.  Still utilizing the screen with a keyboard is sort of strange to me.  But other than that, it works. 

To be fair, if Android tablets had come out before I got hooked on the ipad (i.e. apps) it would work just as well I'm sure; I'm just using it for a dumb interface to my documents.  But already having an iphone/ipad, no matter how cool the other devices are, it will have to be head and shoulders above with some sort of killer feature for me to switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version