ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android tablets to rival iPad

<< < (3/24) > >>

Darwin:
Great points all, superboyac  :Thmbsup:

@ Deozaan - I'm still waiting to see what Arhchos does WRT the A5 and Android 2.x they haven't definitively said that they won't be doing it (though as noted above I'm not holding my breath) so it *might* happen. For now, there's nothing in 2.2 that I miss when switching to 1.6 and I don't need anymore apps (so OS incompatibility with apps in the marketplace isn't an issue, yet...).

superboyac:
I have yet to see Archos hit a homerun with their devices.  They always seem so promising, yet they never quite cross that line of truly awesome.

Darwin:
I have yet to see Archos hit a homerun with their devices.  They always seem so promising, yet they never quite cross that line of truly awesome.
-superboyac (February 10, 2011, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, thought the A5IT is wonderful. I can only imagine that it didn't do better because it only has a 4.8" screen.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

The first archos devices were ahead of their time.  But because they were ahead, people didn't fully grasp what the potential was at the time, and they cut deals with the industries to cripple them.  Since then, they've sort of squandered the advantages they did have in devices that never quite reached the levels of those first devices.  I still have one of the first/second gen devices, and it's pretty amazing considering how old it is that it is still quite useful.

superboyac:
--- End quote ---

The first archos devices were ahead of their time.  But because they were ahead, people didn't fully grasp what the potential was at the time, and they cut deals with the industries to cripple them.  Since then, they've sort of squandered the advantages they did have in devices that never quite reached the levels of those first devices.  I still have one of the first/second gen devices, and it's pretty amazing considering how old it is that it is still quite useful.
-wraith808 (February 10, 2011, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's a sobering thought to have, thanks.  It's interesting to see the history of business successes and failures.  There's a very fine line between the two.  It almost makes you think there's a fine line between the ipod and the Rio player.  A couple of different events here and there, and it might have played out totally different.  On one hand, you want to say that Archos should have just trusted themselves and not capitulated to their eventual partners.  On the other hand, that takes big balls when you have no userbase experience to look at.  That's the risk of a pioneer...it comes down to huevos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version