ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CPU Question: More Mhz per core or more cores?

<< < (6/10) > >>

f0dder:
Also, for the PSU: I've never heard of Rosewill. But one thing about PSUs: stable voltages are craploads more important than wattage. Even my quadcore/8gig/GF460/2x10k-rpm-raptor drives doesn't go above ~275W under full CPU+GPU load.
-f0dder (February 16, 2011, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
How can you tell what PSUs will have stable voltages and which ones don't?
-Deozaan (February 16, 2011, 03:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Read zillions of reviews - alternatively, go for a reputable brand name and cross your fingers :)

If you have the choice between <some_good_brand> 500W and <something_unknown> 700W, the safest bet would be the 500W IMHO. As far as I can tell, the GPU you've chosen is relatively low-end... The GTX460 in my system is mid-end, but even that doesn't have über high power requirements. I don't see how you'll need a 700W PSU if you're not running multiple GPUs in SLI and a zillion harddrives :)

f0dder:
I managed to find a review of the a-data drive, and given that I'd definitely stay away from it - it's random-write performance sucks.

Also, a thing to keep in mind with SSDs is that larger capacity (given the same model) tends to mean faster speed, especially with regards to linear reads/writes. This is because flash chips are relatively slow, and to get decent speeds multiple flash chips are striped together. Larger capacity = more chips :)

40hz:
re: PC power supplies.

I've been very pleased with supplies from PC Power&Cooling. I've been using various models for years in new builds as well as for replacements. Never had a single problem or failure.

4wd:
Okay, so I finally got some specs to compare to. I ended up building my sister a better machine for about $300 less than what the other person was trying to sell her. :Thmbsup:-Deozaan (February 15, 2011, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

You do realise you've now lumbered yourself with the maintenance contract?

re: PSUs

I've never had a problem with CoolerMaster, (using two of them in the machines here, both >4 y.o.), ThermalTake or Antec.

40hz:
+1 for Antec PSUs.

Also very good choice. Especially if you can get it in a combo deal with one of their cases. Newegg runs those every so often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version