topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any suggestion for 3G Phone  (Read 4373 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any suggestion for 3G Phone
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I'm currently using Sony z550i and with low speed GPRS to connect to internet. I can't access video sites and can't download and do rest of the activities at such low speed. So i'm planning to ditch this carrier and get 3G on another network. I also want to get rid of this phone because it's condition is like it's going to grave yard in next few months .

What i'm looking for is simple phone with -
-No slider
- No flap
- No touchscreen

But with glossy screen and all the features like (3G/EDGE/Wifi/Bluetooth etc). Storage requirement and camera is not necessary and i want this phone just for connecting to internet. I can adjust with slider phone but i use mobile to listen to radio as well before sleeping so there is chance of rough usage and so avoiding those type of models. Another important requirement is 3G, which is the only way to get rid of 6kbps speed limit that i have currently.

Any suggestion from personal experience ? I know i can compare mobile these days online but looking for personal suggestion or model suggestion.  :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any suggestion for 3G Phone
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Get a Blackberry Curve or Bold, no touch-screen, a descent keyboard, good 3G connections, stable hardware, lots of extra apps and other goodies.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Do not get an iPhone.

I have one.

It's very slick.

It's very reliable.

I hate mine.

:)  
In case you're wondering
Once you get past the first blush of seduction, you rapidly become aware of all the things you want and should be able to do with it (but aren't allowed to) because of arbitrary marketing and lock-in policies on the part of Apple. Sad really. This is the device that could have significantly changed almost everything for everybody. But Apple (being Apple) once again decided to do their usual "dog in the hayloft" elitist-hipster schtick with it.

But that should come as no surprise. The word everybody hasn't been a part of Apple's vocabulary since they BSed everybody with their famous 1984 Super Bowl ad way back in the 80s.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:48 PM by 40hz »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I was first going to write:
If you're a techie, or just want to be able to do anything with the phone: Get an Android phone in your price-range.
If you need a penis-enlargement/boob-job*: Get an iPhone.

But then I saw the requirement of not having a touch-screen (:o), so the only viable alternative was a BB.

*: Discard depending on sex

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:01 PM »
:D

Do not get an iPhone.

Iphone is touch screen only phone so it's out. :)

I need phone's file manager and PC connection software to connect my laptop/PC to internet. Is it possible using blackberry ?

I'm not sure android phones are good for PC-internet use, most of the Samsung models are touchscreen, so..  :/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:38 PM »
:D

Do not get an iPhone.

Iphone is touch screen only phone so it's out. :)

I'm aware of that. But there's always a chance you might be tempted. So stay strong.  ;)

(There. I've done as much as I can to save the world.  :P)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I need phone's file manager and PC connection software to connect my laptop/PC to internet. Is it possible using blackberry ?

Not sure, don't own a BB, but could be tricky.
Android 2.2 does that, and WiFi tethering, out of the box though, so...

I'm not sure android phones are good for PC-internet use, most of the Samsung models are touchscreen, so..  :/

I'm using a Motorola Milestone (the Euro/GSM-version of the Droid) that has a real keyboard. It's also very usable as a touch-phone (without sliding it open). The internet speed is only depending on your 3G speed at that location. (But I'm still on Android 2.1, so no WiFi tethering yet)
Afaik the Droid2/Milestone2 has an even better keyboard (less 'tiles' layout, more 'brick wall' key placement), and the HTC Desire Z also has a real keyboard. There are also some LG models with actual keyboards, but I'm not too enthusiastic about LG phones :huh:

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:46 PM »
I didn't got any good review for LG phones for using it as modem to connect internet -laptop. I checked blackberry 3G 9100 model and found that they have no radio feature ? i was like what ?  :huh: then i checked sony erricson cedar, looks like cool model to me. Any ideas about this model ?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Usually the SE phones are of quite good quality, but the featureset is not what I require from a smartphone.
Don't expect to be able to comfortably browse any standard website on that (tiny and low-res) screen though. If only being used for tethering, then it could be enough.

If you can get it for a reasonable (= low) price and on a carrier that has good coverage and a cheap data plan in your area, then I'd go for it.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:35 PM »
My current requirement is -using phone as modem for my 3G sim, so that phone is likely to perform. Cost is no issue. SE Cedar looks sufficient for that and i guess i should go for it.

But before that i would like to explore other options so that i don't left out any similar good options. I don't need much smart phone features-touch screen, bells and whistles.