ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?

<< < (7/12) > >>

40hz:
Edit: Looks like 4wd got it in ahead of me. And with a link too, the Wanker! ;D-40hz (February 09, 2011, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's Mr. Wanker! to you! :P
-4wd (February 09, 2011, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apologies, High Chancellor.  ;D

timns:
Anyone have any experience with this thing:

http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

I like some of its features, such as being able to use >4gb memory area under Windows 32 OSes.

superboyac:
Is the firefox memory issue something that mouser's Process Tamer can improve somehow?

f0dder:
Well, ramdisks aren't just for somewhat shoddily programmed applications (like FireFox), they're also great when you do I/O intensive stuff - like unpacking a huge source code archive, building ISO images, et cetera. And it's nice for %TEMP%.

Windows has FILE_FLAG_TEMPORARY, and linux does special handling of /tmp/, but they aren't guarantees that you won't hit disk - and even if the file data never hits the disk, I think the filesystem metadata might be updated.

Is the firefox memory issue something that mouser's Process Tamer can improve somehow?-superboyac (February 09, 2011, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, it handle CPU-based stuff, yours is an I/O issue.

Btw, is it only FireFox that hiccups, or your entire system? The saving of FF's session state shouldn't be affecting the entire system, but it will freeze the entire FireFox process.

superboyac:
Btw, is it only FireFox that hiccups, or your entire system? The saving of FF's session state shouldn't be affecting the entire system, but it will freeze the entire FireFox process.
-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
My hiccup issue is 100% resolved.  It was firefox's session restore feature.  Once I disabled that, everything was perfect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version