ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?

<< < (5/12) > >>

f0dder:
Hmm...seems like turning off session restore in firefox (using the about:config area) did the trick.  We'll see.-superboyac (February 08, 2011, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Session restore regularly dumps your session info to it's backing store. The sqlite3 databases used by FF tends to be fragmented (internally as well as externally - so you need to both "VACUUM" the databases (there are tools for this) as well as defragment the file).

Personally I moved all my firefox profile & session stuff to a ramdisk to avoid the hiccups.

superboyac:
Personally I moved all my firefox profile & session stuff to a ramdisk to avoid the hiccups.
-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
?  What's a ramdisk?

Ath:
?  What's a ramdisk?
-superboyac (February 09, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

ROTFLOL :eusa_dance:

superboyac:
?  What's a ramdisk?
-superboyac (February 09, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

ROTFLOL :eusa_dance:
-Ath (February 09, 2011, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
That wasn't a joke!  Seriously, what is it, and more importantly, how do you move something to it?  f0dder threw that out there like everyone knows, but I have no idea how to do this.  Cmon man, don't be a tease!  Give us the secret, baby!

4wd:
We had a discussion about ramdisksw back here.

A RAM disk or RAM drive is a block of RAM (primary storage or volatile memory) that a computer's software is treating as if the memory were a disk drive (secondary storage). It is sometimes referred to as a "virtual RAM drive" or "software RAM drive" to distinguish it from a "hardware RAM drive" that uses separate hardware containing RAM, which is a type of solid-state drive.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version