ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?

<< < (6/12) > >>

40hz:
Ramdisk?

1. It's what you say to a balky computer. Usually prefixed by "I'm gonna" and followed by "up your {select orifice}!!!!"

2. Digital scribble pad for an Ovis aries.

3. That which makes a ram a ram.

;)

------

On a more serious note (Thank you Wikipedia!)

A RAM disk or RAM drive is a block of RAM (primary storage or volatile memory) that a computer's software is treating as if the memory were a disk drive (secondary storage). It is sometimes referred to as a "virtual RAM drive" or "software RAM drive" to distinguish it from a "hardware RAM drive" that uses separate hardware containing RAM, which is a type of solid-state drive.
--- End quote ---

FWIW, they don't get used that much any more. Advances in storage technology removed much of the need to employ something that's a hack at best. About the only time you'll find somebody using one is if they're a real techno wizard type that got annoyed with some dumbass app and decided to kludge around it for performance reasons. (see: f0dder  ;) :) )

---

Edit: Looks like 4wd got it in ahead of me. And with a link too, the Wanker! ;D

f0dder:
A ramdisk is a logical disk existing in your ram, meaning it's UBERFAST compared to a disk drive.

Very good for stuff like %TEMP%, even if there's a few retardo applications that try to store huge amounts of data in %TEMP%, meaning a 512meg ramdrive can be too little every now and then.

It'd be pretty sweet to move to 12 gigs of system memory and set aside 4-5 gigs for a ramdisk - in my 8gig system, I have a 512meg one.

superboyac:
ok 40, good post, you deserve a:

40 said balky...remember perfect strangers?  balky was a riot.  what an odd character idea.  Love it!

4wd:
Edit: Looks like 4wd got it in ahead of me. And with a link too, the Wanker! ;D-40hz (February 09, 2011, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's Mr. Wanker! to you! :P

40hz:
@f0dder - Would be sweet indeed, except  I'd say 12Gb of RAM  and a UPS. ;D

Actually, I shouldn't be so flip about RAMdisks. They do have their uses  We set them up on most servers we do for exactly that reason - to handle scratchpad files, non-critical logs, and temporary file caches.

Makes a big difference on a heavily loaded application  server :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version