ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB 3.0 stick - anyone taken the plunge?

<< < (5/5)

MilesAhead:
If anyone is curious I got the A-Data thumb drive today. It came formatted Fat32.  In my dual core PC plugged into a USB 2.0 port it got Crystal Disk Mark sequential read and write of 24 MB/s as expected as this seems to be the real-world max on my HP PCs.  Copying on a 1.4 GB video file at the end of the copy when Explorer tends to show the lowest number, it was still showing about 21.4 MB/s.

I plugged it into the SIIG USB 3.0 port.  CDM sequential read showed 74 MB/s and sequential write of 40 MB/s.  Copying on a 1.4 GB video file at the end of the copy it was still showing about 31.4 MB/s in Explorer.

For $2 a gig it seems like a good buy compared to others I have.  Physically it's narrow enough you should be able to plug into a USB 3.0 port even if the one next to it is occupied.  The cap has a little snap to it. It feels like it should endure a few hundred "on and offs" before it falls off anyway. I like it much better than the "sliding guts" design.

Only thing that may be a drawback for some is no LED indicator.  My first impression is very positive though.

Ath:
It came formatted Fat32.
-MilesAhead (February 17, 2011, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bummer :o But that's not something you can't easily fix.

If I'd need another thumb-drive I'd probably get one of those too, even without the LED indicator.
And I think it looks decent as well.

Thanks for the mini-mini-review.

4wd:
It came formatted Fat32.
--- End quote ---
Bummer :o But that's not something you can't easily fix.-Ath (February 17, 2011, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

FAT32 is the base compatibility format, it'll work on Apple, PC, Linux, PVR, STB, Media Players, pretty much everything without doing anything - I've yet to see a flash drive that doesn't come formatted as FAT32.

MilesAhead:
It came formatted Fat32.
--- End quote ---
And I think it looks decent as well.

-Ath (February 17, 2011, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I very much like the narrow profile. When I plugged it into my USB 3.0 port it didn't even touch the cable in the adjoining port.  Seems like they put some thought into the design.

edit: I didn't notice until I used it with my DVD player.  The cap snaps onto the butt end.  There's no loop for a lanyard but at least it gives a place to put the cap during use.

Ehtyar:
I recently purchased a usb 3.0 pocket drive from costco (seagate, 1.5TB, $130) and it performs incredibly well. I get about double the sequential write speed I did with my usb 2 drive (~25MB/s -> ~50MB/s) (and truecrypt was formatting it at 80MB/s. I also have a 64GB SSD in a USB 3 enclosure but I haven't started using it full-on yet.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version