ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB 3.0 stick - anyone taken the plunge?

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
USB 3.0 as it gets common will write way faster.-MilesAhead (February 09, 2011, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, it won't - it comes down to the speed of the flash memory on the pendrive. Again: I haven't seen a single usb2 pendrive that even comes near saturating the usb2 bandwidth.
-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I doubt you will.  Why try to max out obsolete technology? It's like waiting for the 100 MB fast floppy drive to arrive.
-MilesAhead (February 09, 2011, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't see what USB3 adds to the table (which is relevant to flashdrives) except a higher theoretical throughput. And since existing drives aren't even close to saturating that, what exactly is the benefit from USB3 going to be, except marketing hype? I think it's a fair assumption that USB3 devices are going to be more expensive than USB2, in part because of R&D costs have to be recouped.

4wd: yeah, I've been wondering that as well - USB is a kinda sucky protocol for high-speed transfers, but I do get much worse speeds than the theoretical ~60MB/s, usually ~35MB/s for HDD enclosures.

MilesAhead:
The price point for USB 2.0 stuff is going to hit the cellar. So who is going to cram expensive chips into USB 2.0 when they can put them in USB 3.0 that's backward compatible?  People don't care about theoretical. They care about capacity and speed per buck.

USB 2.0 is going the way of the 5 1/4" floppy drive.

f0dder:
You might be right, but that would only be because of marketing weasels, and not have anything to do with the technology.

OTOH, if USB3 parts are expensive enough compared to USB2 parts, we might see flashdrive vendors sticking with USB2. There really isn't any good reason to use USB3 parts for them.

MilesAhead:
You might be right, but that would only be because of marketing weasels, and not have anything to do with the technology.

OTOH, if USB3 parts are expensive enough compared to USB2 parts, we might see flashdrive vendors sticking with USB2. There really isn't any good reason to use USB3 parts for them.
-f0dder (February 11, 2011, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

btw where are you seeing these USB 2.0 60+ MB/s reads? Do you have USB on an addon card? I'm wondering if it's like what I'm seeing with USB 3.0 where people are saying it's "slow" because they're not even getting ESata speeds out of them and have the USB 3.0 on the motherboard. I have off the shelf HP machines and the fastest USB 2.0 read I ever got was 24 MB/s(I'm talking external HD not a USB stick.)  With WD 6 Gb/s fast drives in USB 3.0 docks and SIIG USB 3.0 ports on PCI Express card, on my Quad the sequential reads are like 5 times faster for me than USB 2.0. Pulling a large video from a WD in a USB 3.0 dock often shows 130 MB/s read. It's as fast or faster on both machines than the system disk.

MilesAhead:
I'd like to see a video of the benchmark. Don't know if they're blowin' smoke, but Sharkoon is claiming 130 MB/s transfer speeds:

http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/4732/sharkoon_usb3_0_stick_with_ddr_nand_130_mb_s_write_rate/index.html

They also have an "economy" model that only writes at 83 MB/s

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/27739/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version