ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB 3.0 stick - anyone taken the plunge?

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
18MB/s is perfectly attainable with a 2.0 plug - I think one of my corsairs reach ~20MB/s for reads.

MilesAhead:
18MB/s is perfectly attainable with a 2.0 plug - I think one of my corsairs reach ~20MB/s for reads.
-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

None of the USB 2.0 thumbs in my price range have claimed anywhere near that for write speeds.  That Verbatim one is the fastest I have and I think it's really about 7 MB/s write. USB 3.0 as it gets common will write way faster. I'd like to have one to see how they handle the connector.  The one in the link, the connector sure looks like USB 2.0.

But until I have USB 3.0 ports instead of 2.0 it's on the back burner.  The USB 3.0 I have are mostly occupied with docking stations.

I run across "USB 3.0 slow" on boards.  I think 100% of the time the guy complaining about it being slow does not have USB 3.0 on a PCI express card, but built into the motherboard.

In any event, if I thought it would be convenient to copy a video onto a key drive for a quick watch it's way too slow to tolerate the copy.  It's easier just to swap drives in the docking stations.  Eliminates most use I'd have for a key since I don't jump around to dozens of PCs carrying a portable toolkit of utilities.

Plus the thing still feels like a novelty to me. I have a hard time believing the things won't break with moderate use. Just too flimsy.

f0dder:
USB 3.0 as it gets common will write way faster.-MilesAhead (February 09, 2011, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, it won't - it comes down to the speed of the flash memory on the pendrive. Again: I haven't seen a single usb2 pendrive that even comes near saturating the usb2 bandwidth.

4wd:
I haven't seen a single usb2 pendrive that even comes near saturating the usb2 bandwidth.-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't seen a USB HDD that's come close to saturating USB2 bandwidth since the nForce2 Ultra400 days.  Used to get 50-60MB/s on those, on all the chipsets I've tried since, (Intel, ATI, nvidia, VIA), it's more like 20-30MB/s - where did they go wrong?

MilesAhead:
USB 3.0 as it gets common will write way faster.-MilesAhead (February 09, 2011, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, it won't - it comes down to the speed of the flash memory on the pendrive. Again: I haven't seen a single usb2 pendrive that even comes near saturating the usb2 bandwidth.
-f0dder (February 09, 2011, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I doubt you will.  Why try to max out obsolete technology? It's like waiting for the 100 MB fast floppy drive to arrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version