ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB 3.0 stick - anyone taken the plunge?

(1/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Some USB sticks are showing up as USB 3.0. I'm just curious if anyone has sprung for one. If/how you liked it etc..

The prices seem to be dropping into the somewhat reasonable range. If over $50 can ever be reasonable for a key chain gadget.

40hz:
I'm a big advocate & user of portable apps and task oriented USB collections.

But I'm still waiting untill it hits a $2/Gb "everyday price" point.

Once it does, however, I'm all over it!  :)

MilesAhead:
I'm a big advocate & user of portable apps and task oriented USB collections.

But I'm still waiting untill it hits a $2/Gb "everyday price" point.

Once it does, however, I'm all over it!  :)
-40hz (February 08, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reply. Please update if you find a deal with price/performance/design sweet spot. :)

The last thumb I bought was similar to this model 'cept it was 16 GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820235053&cm_re=verbatim_usb_thumb_drive-_-20-235-053-_-Product

The write speed wasn't too bad. About 8 to 11 MB/s I think. But I hate the "sliding guts" design. I have to jam my thumb against the stop to plug it in and unplugging is pulling on mere plastic. I know it's not gonna' last long.

edit: the only one I saw at newegg that meets your $2 per Gig price point is an A-Data. I have a few A-Data USB 2.0 but they are not known as high performace.  Although none has broken apart on me yet. :)

Here's a link to the A-Data USB 3.0 model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211521

f0dder:
I can't see why you'd need a 3.0 USB stick - 2.0 caps out at a theoretical ~60MB/s, and I haven't seen a single stick that even approaches that. Marketing weasels: I hate them.

MilesAhead:
I haven't spent a lot for them.  But looking around at the ads and reviews the write speeds seem to be rated rather low with the USB 2.0 models.  The USB 3.0 model I linked to claims 18 MB/s write speed which seems fairly quick for a cheapie thumb. If I use it with my WD set top box, it's only going to read via USB 2.0 anyway, but it's a drag writing the video file on at < 8 MB/s using the cheap 2.0 models(assuming they really are backward compatible and I can plug into a USB 2.0 port in the WD player.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version