ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A question for Google -- why are you so desperate to have me switch to Chrome?

<< < (2/7) > >>

argv:

Why does GOOGLE say it is spending such huge sums to advertise and promote and try to get people to switch to their Chrome browser?

-mouser (February 07, 2011, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because they can  ;D

rgdot:
I am being totally serious when I say this:

If you can answer 'why is google spending so much on something like street view?' then you can answer everything else they do.

Paul Keith:
Because of money and insight in how people use their computers? In it turns out that all you really really need is a browser Google wants to deliver so they can collect. They are preparing for the future, if that is next month, next year - from this or that device Google of course wants to be there. Why open the door for another Facebook monster? Make people use the browser/mini-OS -> make money with, for and from the people :)

Can also ask so why the hell is there something called Google TV??? - same answer. In Googles case they probably don't even think money or taxes, just deep thoughts about where future markets will be. Figure that out and current costs are of no importance. Control or just being first = more money than you can imagine.-Bamse (February 07, 2011, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair, this is also because of market demands unlike Facebook where it was more of a reverse process.

Lots of people now want things on the web but also things on their PC. It's just convenient and it also make things easier to sync across computers even if you don't know anything about networking and servers or can't afford a fast connection.

I'm not defending Google's habits but the Chrome of today has bridged a demand that Firefox and other browsers weren't providing. The web app is also a key to stopping businesses from shoving toolbars in order to advertise their products as it's just a link to another site.

I am being totally serious when I say this:

If you can answer 'why is google spending so much on something like street view?' then you can answer everything else they do.
-rgdot (February 07, 2011, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's no longer the case. Not because Google is no longer trying to spy on people's lives but at this stage, things like street view are old news and doesn't align with Chrome at all.

Google kind of botched it with Chrome for gathering data. Doc syncs are not really possible or crude. Gmail is just another e-mail inbox. People have problems with bookmark syncs.

Chrome is really more of a frontend for Google's netbook. Things like data mining are alot more efficient elsewhere as most Chrome users really prefer third-party extensions because Google's own services aren't really that good at bringing the cloud os to fruition.

rgdot:
I think you have to look at a slightly different and 'earlier' angle (ie the benefits of spying), web is almost mature enough to be able to question the value of data mining. At best it means relevant ads, what else is gained by google even if it is actively spying?

EDIT

More to the point of this thread, I would like to add the following:
Google tablet, netbook or whatever should and will be measured by its own sales not by its OS (Chrome and apps) Google is after a hardware market, of course it is running its own nice little thing, but hardware sales will judge its success

SKA:
If you accept hypothesis that NSA/USGov is behind Google, its easy to spend BILLIONS on anything that gives surreptitious control over Internet users.

From another perspective, they do it since there is no one else yet , as evil as they are.

SKA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version