ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A question for Google -- why are you so desperate to have me switch to Chrome?

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
Although I have expressed in the past my skepticism about Google, I have a serious and honest question that occurred to me:

Google is spending millions (billions?) of dollars advertising and promoting its "Chrome" browser.

Why?

Actually let me simplify this question -- I don't want to get into a debate about true motives and conspiracies, so let me rephrase the question:

Why does GOOGLE say it is spending such huge sums to advertise and promote and try to get people to switch to their Chrome browser?

I honestly am curious about the answer to this question.  They must be telling someone somewhere why they are spending such huge amounts of money trying to get people to switch to Chrome -- what are they saying the reasons are?

mouser:
And let's not make this google-hate thread, there are plenty of other threads on the forum about things that google does that many of us are unhappy about, and we can discuss our concerns there.

I'm really just interested here on getting an answer to a very narrowly focused question, without spin or conspiracy theory.  I want to know their official position on why they are so aggressively pursuing browser market share.

Paul Keith:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore

Chrome is going to be an integral part of Google's WebOS netbook.

I think they're hoping to pincer the OS market with the mobile market by having a webstore that is not just an app store, an extension database but most importantly a bookmark database for site services and in that way, they may not be able to wall garden the social crowd of Facebook users, but they can wall garden the rest of the internet especially static sites. (Although said static sites still need to be modern sites that host things such as extensions or login forms and stuff like that. Think a database where newbies who don't know how to greasemonkey their favorite sites can get a slick interface for their favorite site. One that in many ways integrates the browser and sites even more. Or for commercial sites, white label sites using the Chrome Webstore lay-out to bookmark a site under the guise of an installed app instead.)

cmpm:
Why does GOOGLE say it is spending such huge sums to advertise and promote and try to get people to switch to their Chrome browser?

--- End quote ---

A good way to cut the taxes they have to pay.
Research and development.
Advertising.
All write offs.
That's probably why most everything is beta.

Bamse:
Because of money and insight in how people use their computers? In it turns out that all you really really need is a browser Google wants to deliver so they can collect. They are preparing for the future, if that is next month, next year - from this or that device Google of course wants to be there. Why open the door for another Facebook monster? Make people use the browser/mini-OS -> make money with, for and from the people :)

Can also ask so why the hell is there something called Google TV??? - same answer. In Googles case they probably don't even think money or taxes, just deep thoughts about where future markets will be. Figure that out and current costs are of no importance. Control or just being first = more money than you can imagine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version