topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A question for Google -- why are you so desperate to have me switch to Chrome?  (Read 17808 times)

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm, why is google saying they spend a lot on promotion?

Not sure, but maybe saying "we are spending a lot" is generating more buzz than saying "we have released a new version, again". It may then serve as a reinforcement of the campaign itself. It is something people can talk about. It makes the campaign "special".

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on Firefox and switching to Chrome.

I use IE for all my most important stuff that matters.

FF is my workhorse for 99%.

Chrome is my secondary information holder.

Opera is my tertiary.

But FF just isn't stable enough. I think I'll try the upgrade soon, but if it crashes as often as it does now, I'm moving to Chrome for my workhorse browser.

Chrome is finally at that stage where it's good enough to use... I think... Haven't tried anything important in it, but... seems ok for now.

Another reason why Google wants you to switch --- HP announced webOS for the desktop is coming...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Yeah... it took a while, but I'm pretty much using Chrome full time now (other than the internal sites that have to use IE... sigh).  Though they almost made me switch back to FF... Flash was crashing for a while pretty regularly.  But other than that hiccup, Chrome is a lot more responsive, and the fact that extension updates don't make you restart the whole browser is a definite plus.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use IE for all my most important stuff that matters.

FF is my workhorse for 99%.

I'm confused, if you're using FF 99% of the time, what "important" stuff are you doing in IE?

Chrome just flat out irks me...So I use IE for everything. But it is a bit of a bummer to see FF slipping so much here lately, I rather liked it...Never used it much...But I liked it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm confused, if you're using FF 99% of the time, what "important" stuff are you doing in IE?

There are some things that *just don't work quite right* in browsers other than IE.  And those things happen to be important.  So if his situation is like mine, that might apply.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But FF just isn't stable enough. I think I'll try the upgrade soon, but if it crashes as often as it does now, I'm moving to Chrome for my workhorse browser.
Firefox 4.0 and onwards version are going to very light on system resource and stability. Yet to see their plans for new interface which is to be released in 4.5 i guess, smooth and less resource hungry UI will be good to use. 

kveldulv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- To make money for themselves, and to cement their market-share.
- To reduce the amount they rely on third parties to deliver the web browsing experience. With chrome they have a platform with they can rely on, and use strategically.

1) To collect data on your browsing habits, and serve you better ads, and make more money from you.
2) To generate more traffic to google properties, so that you generate more revenue.
3 ) Gathering user behaviour data for  ad targetting, google search, etc etc.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

A lot of government websites only work properly in IE.