ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Web Page Slideshow Recommendations?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
Not going the Flash route.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find anything. So far I've spent another 5 hours finding, testing, ruling out.

I think I'm going to need to code this myself. Oh well... I'll try to put some polish on it then see if I can sell it. Got a $5,000 car repair bill coming in... Transmission... Ouch... I need to make some ca$h badly...

Bamse:
In another thread you said you knew how to promote software in a very effective way. If you are correct many will probably be happy to pay a modest sum for a well writing ebook :) Can include info on how to set up sites, may be even find a platform for spitting out sites your self. You being a developer, with web dev experience and all counts more than unrelated credentials. You can sell your self better than yet another dude who can help with a website and hosting plan.

Software devs. can be idiots with websites, promotion - don't see the point in how-to screencasts and other informative boring stuff that can mean tons to users. Whole area is confusing, loads of offers left and right - you just spend hours looking for a little slider. Targeting a specific group is more than a stupid niche idea since you are part of it. Question is how much money they want to spend ;)

Renegade:
In another thread you said you knew how to promote software in a very effective way. If you are correct many will probably be happy to pay a modest sum for a well writing ebook :) Can include info on how to set up sites, may be even find a platform for spitting out sites your self. You being a developer, with web dev experience and all counts more than unrelated credentials. You can sell your self better than yet another dude who can help with a website and hosting plan.
-Bamse (February 08, 2011, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's one of those things that I just never get around to. I always have something else that's more pressing or more important. Doing a well written book is a huge effort. I started it before, but I had a lot of code samples, and I was commenting everything in extreme detail. It took too long to keep my interest.

Software devs. can be idiots with websites, promotion - don't see the point in how-to screencasts and other informative boring stuff that can mean tons to users. Whole area is confusing, loads of offers left and right - you just spend hours looking for a little slider. Targeting a specific group is more than a stupid niche idea since you are part of it. Question is how much money they want to spend ;)
-Bamse (February 08, 2011, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I will be able to sell it for $50 or so. Maybe more. We'll see. Right now there's nothing like what I want out there. Some are close, but just not right. They're all pretty boogery to tell the truth. The good ones aren't available for the framework I'm using (DNN). All the DNN ones are just... bad. Nothing surprising though. A lot of stuff in the DNN world is really substandard for a good site. I suppose that goes for all of the web though -- Joomla, WP, etc. There are always crappy plugins/modules.

It took me several days to find a suitable skin for the site. I lucked out there. It was normally $75 and I got it for $15. It looks good too. Not like a lot of them that are really... boring. $15 certainly beats spending $5k~$10k.

Bamse:
Is amazing how much money there must be in marketing. Ever heard of demogirl? She made a name for her self by making screencasts, uploaded them to Youtube of course. For free, just a hobby. She still does it but way less than before because now there is a price tag http://demogirl.com/pricing/ :) Any idiot can do that but most are not that good.

Bamse:
Does DNN have something like Ubermenu? http://codecanyon.net/item/ubermenu-wordpress-mega-menu-plugin/154703 I have seen them before, pro coders do not buy scripts for 10$, but one of those plugins many probably don't know they "need". Menus have not really evolved much since those old famous ones from DynamicDrive were all over the place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version