ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which is more important, system ram or video ram?

<< < (7/8) > >>

f0dder:
64bit Win7 (and Vista, for that matters) runs just fine with 2GB, even for heavier work than simple browsing & office.

Ath:
Going for that amount of RAM warrants looking for a descent mainboard first. One that supports this memory, and some extra if you might later need it. These boards support VMX in all cases, and the high-end CPU's supported also do.
Maybe you should go for a server mainboard, it can be had with multiple CPU sockets, so if a quad-core isn't enough for running all your VM's, you can add a couple more. Hm, then go straight for a XEON system, of the latest X56xx series, it really has superior VM performance, and is available on systems with lots of memory. But I'm not sure anything but Server OS's (Windows Server, VMWare ESX, Linux's) can boot from that board and what storage should be connected. 

Oefff, I got a little excited :-[, but it was fun :D

mouser:
A simple traditional benchmark is not going to show you the real effect of RAM or having fast/multicore cpus.  You will really see the effect of such things when you start using multiple large application on your pc, or when you start having many tabs open in your browser.  That's when applications start competing for memory and cpu, and where the inability to keep all of the needed memory in ram will start to dramatically slow things down.

Bamse:
I use a cheap 870 version of the mentioned Gigabyte motherboard with cheap 4x4gb ram. And amd 965be, works fine. Don't need server specs but might be good to check ram vs. motherboard. With 4x4gb lowering ram speed is hopefully enough. When I first clicked them in bsods came quickly, 1333 -> 1066 necessary. Good thing is timings are a lot better at that speed, in real life no difference outside benchmarks or special task.

I would get a 6 core cpu and manually oc my way to more mhz. X6 1055T does not cost much more than a 965be does it?

Don't forget to buy a bunch of monitors or you will get dizzy from alt-tabbing :)

Carol Haynes:
I was going to get a Phenom x6 but got a bit confused as the spec on the site I bought it from said the board only support Phenom x4. It will be plenty fast enough for what I want with a x4 - and I can always buy a new CPU later on and relegate the x4 to a second box.

I have 2 x24" monitors at the moment but am thinking of adding a third!

Maybe I'll do a Terry Pratchett one day and get six monitors - sooner or later you can hide form the world entirely!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version