ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which is more important, system ram or video ram?

<< < (6/8) > >>

f0dder:
I like building with AMD chips - and feel Intel is the chip manufacturing quivalent of MS !!-Carol Haynes (February 07, 2011, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
You mean, like, producing superior quality to the competition? :P

(I go for best bang for the buck, and have been through various Intel and AMD CPUs. AMD haven't been doing much good lately - same goes for AMD/ATI vs. nvidia, with nvidia also having the upper hand wrt. stable drivers).

Plus you can guarantee with AMD systems that you activate VM technology - with Intel it is hit and miss even within the same product series.-Carol Haynes (February 07, 2011, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
How bad is this, really? Don't you just have to look up the CPU model on Intel's site?

Carol Haynes:
Plus you can guarantee with AMD systems that you activate VM technology - with Intel it is hit and miss even within the same product series.-Carol Haynes (February 07, 2011, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
How bad is this, really? Don't you just have to look up the CPU model on Intel's site?
-f0dder (February 08, 2011, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently not - Intel chips seem to come randomly with or without hardware VM support - even the same product lines vary. Maybe things have changed but it was the case not so long ago.

Given that I am going for 16Gb of RAM to run multiple VMs simultaneously this is something I want to guarantee will be available. AMD have a simple policy - all CPUs have VM support.

I don't really understand Intel's rational - sure it costs them more to have plants tooled for mutiple versions of the same thing? Can it really be economically sensible to restrict access to parts of chips on a random basis?

SKA:
Carol

Sorry if OT, but do any of AMD CPUs come close to Intel's Sandy Bridge/equivalent ?
Are they hotter, need better heat sinks, coolers etc, can they withstand higher temperatures than Intel's CPUs ?  Various hardware sites just say Intel is better, what do you feel ?

Pls PM if OT - thanks

SKA

f0dder:
Hrm, I haven't looked at VMX support since I got my Q6600, but "random" sounds stupid - there surely must be some rationale? Or are you saying that, for instance, some i5's have VMX and others don't?

As for tooling, various chip configuration can be done post-fab, after testing. Like, the silicon for a quadcore and dualcore could be the same, but with half the cores disabled after hardware test that shows one set of cores fail. Or failing bits of cache memory, etc. Might be the same with VMX support.

SKA:
How much estimated ram is needed for how much HD space for it to run decently. (Let's say cheap HD and not SSD)
-Paul Keith (February 08, 2011, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

32-bit Win7 : 3-4GB RAM, 7200 rpm /10,000 rpm hard disk
64-bit: 8-16 GB RAM, 7200 rpm /10,000 rpm hard disk

SKA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version