ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which is more important, system ram or video ram?

<< < (2/8) > >>

techidave:
it was on xp media center but I blew it away because it was slow.  I have xp pro on it now.  your right, it is a sluggish system.  5400 rpm with a 2 meg buffer on the hard drive and not much ram.

originally with all the HP games that was loaded on it, made it extremely slow and had spyware on it even when I restored to factory defaults.   >:( :(

f0dder:
It really all depends on what the system is going to be used for. What kind of work is the machine used for?

In your case, I assume we're dealing with a machine that uses system memory for the GPU, and lets you tweak the amount of memory allocated in the BIOS. Probably not used for gaming or any kind of intensive graphics use... With so little system memory, I'd select the minimum possible amount to be reserved for the GPU.

Stoic Joker:
So the question is do I adjust the video ram to 64 meg or 32 meg (only other options)? I would to help it out as much as possible.  they only use it to do email, internet, photos of the grandkids.  Nothing intensive.
-techidave (February 07, 2011, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
I understand your thinking on dropping the shared video memory size, but... I'd be inclined to wonder then why 512 isn't enough. The extra 64/96MB "gained" isn't really going to help them if they have some bloated crapwear (like AOL) gobbling up resources (which got answered while I was typing).

The resource balancing act could end up costing them more in the long run than just letting them get a new machine with current hardware that is up to the task of handling the current bloatwear.

techidave:
the sad part of doing a factory restore was the spyware it had from the getgo on this machine.  I did another factory restore and then uninstalled all the bloat using Revo Uninstaller and it still had spyware.  nothing would remove it for good.  I couldn't do a clean install of xp media center since there were no cd's to do it with.

now that it is on xp pro, it is running much better and no spyware yet.   :)

techidave:
I changed the video RAM to 64 meg from 128 meg and it seemed to help.    I didn't time it or do any other tests to see if it actually was faster.

Which brings up another question:  Would a benchmark test actually tell me if it was indeed faster?  if so, which one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version