ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which is more important, system ram or video ram?

<< < (5/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
My 2p would be:

RAM and hard disk as these seem to be the major bottlenecks in most systems.

Just building a new system and contemplating using a solid state hard disk for the system drive - probably more bang for the buck as memory upgrades or CPU upgrades provided you are happy with a smallish system drive.

Off topicNew system is going to be:

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ BLACK
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series 650 Watt ATX EPS12V
Graphics: SAPPHIRE R5670 HD 1GB PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
RAM: Crucial 4 x 4Gb DDR3-1333
Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
2 x WD 1Tb SATA600 drives

- going to be fun!

Worst bit is I need to use the same box - so I HAVE to sort out my XP system finally - and with 8 chocker hard disks in a complete mess that might take a month on its own!

Ath:
@Carol,

Why aren't you going for top performance and buying an Intel CPU for the same amount of money as the AMD CPU, but with 25 to 50% better 'tsjakka' through the opcodes :-\ Thought it was speed you're after? And next thing is bang for the buck?

Carol Haynes:
I like building with AMD chips - and feel Intel is the chip manufacturing quivalent of MS !! Plus you can guarantee with AMD systems that you activate VM technology - with Intel it is hit and miss even within the same product series.

4wd:
@Carol: You could save yourself UKP20 and get the 955BE, same chip as the 965BE.  Only difference is the default multiplier of the 965 is one step higher - something that can easily be rectified in the BIOS for the Black Editions.

Paul Keith:
Ok, I have a side question to this:

How much estimated ram is needed for how much HD space for it to run decently. (Let's say cheap HD and not SSD)

Let's assume things like defragging, antivirus scanning, consideration for non-pro but high spec requirement programs like Blender and Photoshop...multi-monitor multi-tasking of common applications (say MS Word + Firefox + Chrome + Opera all opened with 25-50 tabs)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version