ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which is more important, system ram or video ram?

(1/8) > >>

techidave:
I was looking to try and find out what is more important in a computer... system RAM or video RAM?  especially on those with onboard video and have a limited amount of memory.

I found the following in searching Google and wanted to see if others agree with it.  But it basically convers most of the componets in a computer:

CPU first
RAM second
HD third
Video Card fourth

CPU does the thinking
RAM Transmits that thinking
HD stores the info
Video card displays i

Renegade:
I put 2 video cards in this box, but usually I don't worry much at all about it as I don't play games. Mostly I just want them for multiple monitors (running 3 now).

Ath:
I'd even say that system-RAM is more important than CPU speed; if you have to choose, based on limited money ofcourse, between an i7-860 with 8 GB ram, or an i7-870 with 4 GB of ram, then choose the i7-860/8GB because of better performance in the long run and with heavy loads.

techidave:
One of the reasons I am asking is this.  A client brought me their Compaq laptop, a V5000 Presario.  It had 512mb of Ram with 128meg allocated to video.  I know to increase it it to 2 gig (max) would help but she wants to put her money into a new one.  Understandable.

So the question is do I adjust the video ram to 64 meg or 32 meg (only other options)? I would to help it out as much as possible.  they only use it to do email, internet, photos of the grandkids.  Nothing intensive.

Ath:
What's the OS? Most likely XP, and though XP does run better with more memory also, the increase of 64 or 96 MB isn't going to make much difference :huh:
Take into account the sluggish harddisk, and you've got a bad performing PC by its specs.
I'd indeed go for a new system, and not invest money in memory you (probably) can't re-use for a more modern PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version