ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Death Threats in an Odd Turnabout

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
http://m.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/filesharing-case-hunter-becomes-the-hunted-20110207-1ajb6.html

A controversial London-based law firm that sent tens of thousands of letters demanding payment from people it accused of illegal file sharing has dramatically quit its copyright litigations, claiming death threats are causing "immense hassle" to the lead solicitor's family.

The founder and lead solicitor at ACS:Law, Andrew Crossley, announced in a statement to the Patents County Court in London that his firm would no longer be chasing alleged copyright infringers.

"I have ceased my work. I have been subject to criminal attack. My emails have been hacked. I have had death threats and bomb threats," Mr Crossley said in the statement read to the court by barrister Tim Ludbrook, who is acting on behalf of copyright licensee MediaCAT. "It has caused immense hassle to me and my family."
--- End quote ---

I can't help but laugh at litigation like that being withdrawn, but the cause of it... well... not very funny.

f0dder:
They're out to ruin people's lives, and got their own lives ruined... fair enough, even if I don't approve of death threats.

Stoic Joker:
They're out to ruin people's lives, and got their own lives ruined... fair enough, even if I don't approve of death threats.-f0dder (February 07, 2011, 01:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Compared to the type of threats these people typically make... death is a kindness.

Renegade:
They're out to ruin people's lives, and got their own lives ruined... fair enough, even if I don't approve of death threats.-f0dder (February 07, 2011, 01:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Compared to the type of threats these people typically make... death is a kindness.
-Stoic Joker (February 07, 2011, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

You guys are going to bring out my lawyer-hatin'-rantin'-hollerin' self complete with outlandish blatherings pretty soon. :P

40hz:
I think f0dder hit the nail on the head. It's amusing to see how quickly bullies cry "foul" the moment someone shifts the field of play away from the spot where the bully holds absolute advantage.

But I also can't completely buy into what they're saying happened despite how much I may be amused by it.

It could be little more than a "good story" concocted to to justify their desire to quit the game now that the courts have indicated they're not happy with Mr. Crossley et al's tactics.

As the above article reported:

ACS:Law is at the centre of a long-running row over its method of so-called "speculative invoicing", where thousands of generic letters are sent to internet users it suspects of illicit file sharing.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority is currently investigating its practices as hundreds of the accused claim to have been wrongly identified.
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...seems like somebody is in big trouble right now.

I also think it's worth saying there's a big difference between some irate file sharer screaming "I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!" in an e-mail; and having your offices shot up in the wee hours of the morning shortly after receiving a note that suggested you stop what you're doing.

Last I heard, nothing like this has happened.

But it's all about "the presentation," as anyone who goes to court for a living would know. That, and how creditable you appear to be when you testify.

And right now, the credibility of this law firm rates pretty low in my book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version