Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 09:43:02 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Web Media Server ?  (Read 1683 times)
kartal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »

Hi

I am looking for a media server app that I can install on my apache server. I have tried Jinzora and Ampache they did not seem like anything I am interested in plus they do not seem to be active. I want to be able to stream and serve music and video. Hopefully the server is not picky about the formats of the source media files as well since I have mix bag of media files and formats.

Also my server runs on Xampp for Windows so the file-folder paths so the server should have no problem with windows paths.

thanks

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »

Btw I have tried couple fancy standalone open source media servers. I hated them mainly because I have found the interfaces to be cumbersome, the scond reason is that they pull data from internet and replace album covers etc which I hated. And for some reason none of the ones I have tried offer a way to disable such silly features. I am happy with my own album covers and no need to be replaced.

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »

Have you looked at SHOUTcast?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »

Renegade

I did in the past , and I actually streamed music but what I need is a server, not just streaming certain playlist. Unless I am missing some new features?
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »

Did you ever consider Windows Home Server. You can download a 120-day full feature eval copy (or the latest beta) from Microsoft.

Pogoplug is another option. Very inexpensive, very cool piece of tech. Streams media plus a whole lot more. Why reinvent the wheel when you could be doing something more interesting?

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »

After some extensive search I seem to be find the best solution
http://mediatomb.cc/

I use it under virtualbox machine, but there seems to be a windows compile as well

Normally you need upnp player but you can browse your files in a browser than put the urls into the VLC to play the files.

40z
I doubt that any Ms or additional hardware solution is for me, but those might be attaractive to other users.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:42:28 PM by kartal » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0 ]