ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unable to compete with the Kindle, Apple wants a cut of ebook sales

<< < (9/9)

JennyB:
That would make it great for hauling around something like the Microsoft Inside-Out series of books - or a complete copy of the LDP archive. -40hz (February 03, 2011, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is the great advantage of an ereader: series. One example: the six volumes of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Or imagine carrying around Joyce's Ulysses with another book or two full of annotations for it. Very handy. But I still need to be able to markup, take notes, and export those notes in text format sooner, not later.
-zridling (February 04, 2011, 03:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any notes or highlights you make in the Kindle are logged in a text file called My Clippings.txt. If you edit a note, the revised version is logged there too. Some people use their Kindle as a calendar or To Do list by having a text file showing the days or categories, to which they can attach notes. You can export or My Clippings via USB any time, or delete it. A new one will automatically be created the next time you make a note or highlight. The "real" notes for each document are held in a  MobiReader format .prc file of the same name. I'm sure there's software to convert these into text, but I haven't gone looking yet.

Another odd thing - the Kindle doesn't read .htm natively, but if you rename them to .txt it can do a pretty good rendering. Character and list formatting are supported, but not tables, as well as external links. You just need the bare <htm> and <body> tags. I've found that a quick way of saving content from the Web to read later.

johnk:
Another odd thing - the Kindle doesn't read .htm natively, but if you rename them to .txt it can do a pretty good rendering. Character and list formatting are supported, but not tables, as well as external links. You just need the bare <htm> and <body> tags. I've found that a quick way of saving content from the Web to read later.
-JennyB (February 04, 2011, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it suits your circumstances, you could feed the web content through Instapaper, which strips away formatting and saves the page content in your Instapaper account (it's a one-click job once you set up a bookmarklet in your browser). Then Instapaper can email the content to your Kindle automatically if you wish (in Kindle-friendly format, of course). Makes everything seamless. And it's free (although I find Instapaper so useful I voluntarily pay a subscription).

EDIT: Also, I am sure I have emailed .HTM files to my Kindle in the past, and it has done an excellent job at conversion. Which isn't surprising -- I think mobi/azw files are just very basic html with a bit of DRM added (in the case of AZW).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version