topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Axialis License Key Frustrations  (Read 16778 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Axialis License Key Frustrations
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:10 AM »
I am posting this because I know I am not going to be the only one to go through this. If anyone else has the same troubles, just follow what I did and it will work out just fine, I think. (step-by-step summary checklist at end of my post)

Axialis was very generous and donated a number of free licenses for their IconWorkshop product to DC, to be given away as prizes to members

I was one of the lucky winners (yay!).

I received an email with my license key and proceeded to their site to download and install the trial version.

After installing the trial, I hunted around in the software trying to figure out where I am supposed to enter my key. I could not find anywhere to do this. I clicked the option to register my product, thinking maybe that would have a place to enter my key. Nope! A dialog popped up essentially telling me that since the product was not registered, I can't register it.  :huh:

So I go back to the website and figure out where on their site that I can register it.

With the product now registered, I then go back to the software and try to find if there is a way to link what I have just done on their site to the copy installed on my computer. Nope!  :(

I go back to the website and log in, and in my list of registered products there is a link for them to send me a download link. I click that and they emailed me a link to download the setup file...another trial version, supposedly the same version I already have installed.

I install that over top of the version I already have, thinking maybe there is something slightly different about this one, and on first run...at last I have a place to enter my license key.  ;)

Whew!

Now if you think I am finished, I am not...

I go back to their site to download the full version of the object packs that I am entitled to. In order to do that you have to enter your license key for each one. I do that and it tells me it isn't enough characters...invalid key!  :huh:

The key listed on the site in my account, under registered products isn't quite the same as the key I was sent and entered into the software to unlock it. The one on the site has an extra character, somewhere. So I copy & paste THAT key into the box and download an icon pack...repeat, repeat, repeat till I have all the icon packs downloaded.

Then I install them and each one tells me that I have installed a Trial Package, and not the full version. (yes, I did install the full versions because those are the ones you need to submit your license key to get).

ARRRRGH! 

So, to register your product, unlock it, and get all the goodies:

• Go here and register it with your license key.
  • Log into your account and request a download link for your product on the Download a Product page.
  • Install that and enter your key.
  • Go back to the site, log in, and copy the key shown on the Display My Product Keys page.
  • Use that key to get the object packs by clicking the green download buttons and entering that key.
  • Install the object packs and hope they really are the full packs and not the trials like it says.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Axialis License Key Frustrations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:29 PM »
A dialog popped up essentially telling me that since the product was not registered, I can't register it.  

I can remember that it was a little difficult to register Axialis Workshop, but not that difficult! I cannot remember in details what I did, when I registered, so please forgive me, April, if I am wrong, but I don't think you read the pop-up properly.

From http://www.axialis.c...er/registration.html :

If you've just installed an Axialis product, please use the built-in feature to register.

Done from within the program:

Axialis.gif

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:46 PM »
No, I don't think I read it wrong...

Screenshot - 2_5_2011 , 12_40_44 AM.png

There are multiple versions of the setup file and one or more of them do not allow you to enter your license key anywhere in the application. This was why I had to download and install another setup.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:29 AM »
-okay, I was wrong. Your last post made me remember that I didn't run any trial, but simply purchased the (discounted) key, and only then downloaded via the confirming e-mail - and therefore never had the same confusing experience.

-------------

2011-02-05_142810.gif

Available from $49.95 $24.95
(with lifetime license)
-Axialis Workshop

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44 AM »
Strange that people fall for these marketing tricks so easily. That time limited offer has been up almost permanently since the summer... Wait a bit, maybe it will go to 75% soon  :Thmbsup: (rant of an informed competitor)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:36 AM »
I just got an email from the developer, in which he states:

Congratulation for winning a free license Axialis IconWorkshop at DonationCoder.com!

The product key to activate your license has already been sent from DonationCoder.com directly. Let me know if you need a download link to get the installer of the full version (the trial version cannot be activated with the key).

Emphasis, mine.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13 AM »
I got the same email as well. I wonder if they just were not prepared?  English doesn't seem to be the first language there so maybe a bit of miscommunication? Let's see how long it takes to get the link.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:09 AM »
Let's see how long it takes to get the link.

You don't have to wait for it if you follow my instructions at the end of the first post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:17 AM »
Lest we seem ungrateful I think we might want to repeat:

THANK YOU TO AXIALIS for being so generous to donate copies of IconWorkshop, which is a fantastic program  :Thmbsup:

(and we should consider that maybe one of the reasons that the giveaway of copies might have been a bit confusing is just because giving away copies is a bit unusual, compared to mailing out a customer their info once they purchase it.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:19 AM by mouser »

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03 AM »
(and we should consider that maybe one of the reasons that the giveaway of copies might have been a bit confusing is just because giving away copies is a bit unusual, compared to mailing out a customer their info once they purchase it.)

My point exactly.  They were very helpful once they learned of the issue.  Thanks Axialis and DonationCoder!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:16 AM »
THANK YOU TO AXIALIS for being so generous to donate copies of IconWorkshop, which is a fantastic program  :Thmbsup

ABSOLUTELY! I consider myself very lucky to have won, and I truly appreciate their generosity for giving away any free licenses, and I appreciate the work that went into making such a wonderful application. :Thmbsup:

You have a point there. I am just not used to applications that require reinstalling to enter in your license key and I don't recall having this problem when I purchased their Screensaver Producer (which you know is my favorite of all screensaver makers). Perhaps it's the terminology they used which caused some of the confusion. I always think "trial" as being a time limited version that can be unlocked once you purchase it, and "demo" as requiring installing the full version once you purchase it.

English doesn't seem to be the first language there so maybe a bit of miscommunication?

That could be a valid explanation for the terminology they used, calling the one version of their setup file a trial and not a demo.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:43 PM »
I can only tell that Axialis is well worth the money and you could consider to support them and buy a a full license that would make your life trouble-free.

It is really not expensive and they offer a lifetime license with many clipart updates.
Michael

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 12:04 AM »
I can only tell that Axialis is well worth the money and you could consider to support them and buy a a full license that would make your life trouble-free.

It is really not expensive and they offer a lifetime license with many clipart updates.

-BartelsMedia (April 20, 2011, 04:43 PM)

If someone gave you a gift, would you toss it in the trash and then go out buy yourself the exact same thing? Because that is what you are asking me to do...throw away a gift from the developer and then buy a license to the same app the developer just gave me a free license for.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:20 AM »
we're not really going to have another long discussion about this are we?   :huh:
i think we're going to have to hire a life coach to pay a guest visit to DC and give a free course in how to not beat a horse to death.

the rule on dc should be: if you have something positive/constructive to say, say it -- otherwise ask yourself if maybe you'd be better off spending that moment of your life petting a cat or posting about something more positive.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:24 AM by mouser »