ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unable to compete with the Kindle, Apple wants a cut of ebook sales

<< < (8/9) > >>

mahesh2k:
due to graphics or some other reason ?

CWuestefeld:
They're going to keep saying that the e-ink displays are better on the eyes vs the tablet screens, but that's a bunch of bullshit. Whatever little truth there is in that, it's the only point they are hanging on to.  i read pdf's on my ipad, and it's a great experience.
-superboyac (February 02, 2011, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

The quality of the display is fantastic, but there's another really awesome feature of e-ink readers like Kindle: the batteries last freakin' forever. Seriously, it can go *weeks* of normal usage on a single charge. When I got mine for Christmas I charged it overnight. Since then, the only time I've plugged it in is when I've loaded new content. And those little dribbles have been enough to keep it going for 6 weeks.

And like johnk said, one can use Calibre to load up darned near any content you want, so while technically Kindle is a closed, proprietary system, in fact it's open to anything you're likely to want.

Renegade:
due to graphics or some other reason ?
-mahesh2k (February 03, 2011, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not just "multi-touch". It's multi-person. The number of touch points on a Microsoft Surface is something like 255 or 5000 or something. I believe that the only real/practical limit is in the actual hardware, and I've read about demonstrations that show 20 touch points at once.

While it may make it into common devices, it's way over the top for most uses.

40hz:
And like johnk said, one can use Calibre to load up darned near any content you want, so while technically Kindle is a closed, proprietary system, in fact it's open to anything you're likely to want.
-CWuestefeld (February 03, 2011, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't know that.

Hmm...now I may have to reconsider. That would make it great for hauling around something like the Microsoft Inside-Out series of books - or a complete copy of the LDP archive.

zridling:
That would make it great for hauling around something like the Microsoft Inside-Out series of books - or a complete copy of the LDP archive. -40hz (February 03, 2011, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is the great advantage of an ereader: series. One example: the six volumes of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Or imagine carrying around Joyce's Ulysses with another book or two full of annotations for it. Very handy. But I still need to be able to markup, take notes, and export those notes in text format sooner, not later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version