ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unable to compete with the Kindle, Apple wants a cut of ebook sales

<< < (4/9) > >>

wraith808:
^ I think that was sarcasm  ;D

Deozaan:
I really hope Amazon and Sony stand up to Apple, and tell their customers exactly why they aren't bringing the reader software to Apple products, so the customers will finally wise up and complain to Apple so that a change is finally made.

As much as I don't like Sony right now for what they're doing in their own backyard with the Playstation, I hope they win this battle against Apple.

40hz:
But Sony never gave in to that.
-superboyac (February 02, 2011, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Largely because the American recording industry threatened to sue and legislate Sony into oblivion if direct digital to digital copying was implemented on the minidisc system.

This was right after the major labels had effectively prevented DAT tape decks from finding an American market via a combination of legal threats and political pressure to get legislation passed restricting its use. So Sony was more than a little nervous. Especially since they also wanted to start selling commercial music recordings on the minidisc format, and therefor couldn't afford to alienate the rest of the recording industry.

Sony may have been shortsighted in caving in. But at the time it was probably the only option they had, even if it did ultimately doom their snazzy little disc.

mwb1100:
But Sony never gave in to that.
-superboyac (February 02, 2011, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Largely because the American recording industry threatened to sue and legislate Sony into oblivion if direct digital to digital copying was implemented on the minidisc system.
-40hz (February 02, 2011, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd have guessed that it was more because Sony was one of the media companies who didn't want music to be easily copied.  Don't forget that Sony was the outfit that put a rootkit on CDs to control what you could do with the music on a computer (though that was long after minidiscs came out).

Josh:
And yes, I did own and enjoyed a Sony MD player/recorder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version