ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unable to compete with the Kindle, Apple wants a cut of ebook sales

(1/9) > >>

zridling:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/apple-cut-of-e-book-sales/

Apple has responded to the furor over its supposed App Store policy changes that many believe could affect the popular Kindle, Nook and Sony Reader apps. The company claims it has not changed any of its guidelines given to developers, but it indirectly confirms that accessing content purchased elsewhere could be a no-no if that content isn’t also available to be purchased through Apple’s own system. Buzz began Tuesday morning when The New York Times said that Sony’s e-reader app had been rejected, citing Apple’s restriction on in-app book purchases. This in itself was not a new policy — Apple doesn’t allow apps to sell content to users unless that content passes through the official Apple ecosystem, where Apple gets a 30 percent cut. Apple also allegedly told Sony that the app couldn’t access content purchased on other Sony Reader devices, which is where most of the outrage was focused. Amazon’s Kindle app and Barnes & Noble’s Nook app are both popular mechanisms for users to download and read books that they have purchased from the respective stores. Many feared that this supposed change in Apple policy would take their e-books away from their iPads, iPhones and iPod touches.

If Amazon and Sony don't understand they have the upper hand here, then they're idiots. Apple merely wants to have it all and control it all and make money off of every single point of their gadgets. Why anyone would want Apple's money-sucking devices are beyond me.

zridling:
Unrelated to this money grab is the underlying fact that Kindle and Nook both run Linux (kernel). I don't think that's a factor, but now that Android/Linux quickly overtook Apple's iPhone marketshare, and now with a slew of alternate tablets out there, Apple's set for real competition in 2011. In the February issue of Linux Journal, Bill Childers tells you how to hack the NOOKcolor.

Renegade:
(see attachment in previous post)
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/apple-cut-of-e-book-sales/

Apple has responded to the furor over its supposed App Store policy changes that many believe could affect the popular Kindle, Nook and Sony Reader apps. The company claims it has not changed any of its guidelines given to developers, but it indirectly confirms that accessing content purchased elsewhere could be a no-no if that content isn’t also available to be purchased through Apple’s own system. Buzz began Tuesday morning when The New York Times said that Sony’s e-reader app had been rejected, citing Apple’s restriction on in-app book purchases. This in itself was not a new policy — Apple doesn’t allow apps to sell content to users unless that content passes through the official Apple ecosystem, where Apple gets a 30 percent cut. Apple also allegedly told Sony that the app couldn’t access content purchased on other Sony Reader devices, which is where most of the outrage was focused. Amazon’s Kindle app and Barnes & Noble’s Nook app are both popular mechanisms for users to download and read books that they have purchased from the respective stores. Many feared that this supposed change in Apple policy would take their e-books away from their iPads, iPhones and iPod touches.

If Amazon and Sony don't understand they have the upper hand here, then they're idiots. Apple merely wants to have it all and control it all and make money off of every single point of their gadgets. Why anyone would want Apple's money-sucking devices are beyond me.
-zridling (February 02, 2011, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD...

I want to ******* explode...

Please please please please please please Amazon and Sony please please please please please tell Apple to go ******** die and ******** rot in ****.

P U R E   F U C K I N G   E V I L .

Josh:
I wish there was a way to like a reply. Renegade's sums up my feelings :)

A huge resounding +1

zridling:
The only effect of Apple's action will be to drive up all ebook prices. And right now, new ebooks almost the same price as hardcovers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version