topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cracking the Scratch Lottery Code  (Read 11381 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Cracking the Scratch Lottery Code
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:35 AM »
Another great true life story of someone who saw a flaw in a gambling game and how they figured it out and exploited it.  God I love these kinds of articles.

Srivastava realized that the same logic could be applied to the lottery. The apparent randomness of the scratch ticket was just a facade, a mathematical lie. And this meant that the lottery system might actually be solvable, just like those mining samples. “At the time, I had no intention of cracking the tickets,” he says. He was just curious about the algorithm that produced the numbers. Walking back from the gas station with the chips and coffee he’d bought with his winnings, he turned the problem over in his mind. By the time he reached the office, he was confident that he knew how the software might work, how it could precisely control the number of winners while still appearing random...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cracking the Scratch Lottery Code
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39 AM »
I love this part:

Instead of secretly plundering the game, he decided to go to the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation. Srivastava thought its top officials might want to know about his discovery. Who knows, maybe they’d even hire him to give them statistical advice. “People often assume that I must be some extremely moral person because I didn’t take advantage of the lottery,” he says. “I can assure you that that’s not the case. I’d simply done the math and concluded that beating the game wasn’t worth my time.”

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:47 AM »
Not sure I agree with his morality. Given that lotteries prey on the hopes of those who most need the cash -- and who can least afford to part with what little they have -- Srivastava should have at least tried to make a million or two just to "confirm" his results.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57 AM »
a good read !

Not sure I agree with his morality. Given that lotteries prey on the hopes of those who most need the cash -- and who can least afford to part with what little they have -- Srivastava should have at least tried to make a million or two just to "confirm" his results.
-
he says it was a practical decision (but maybe he's just being defensive about his morality!) - he reckoned he could earn 600$ a day with it but he earned more as a contracter. Probably not so much fun either to be scanning all these tickets for patterns in the numbers.

Interesting, at the end of the article they talk about a woman who won at least four big prizes, each with odds of around 1 to a million. Maybe she cracked something bigger...
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08 AM »

+1

Absolutely. It was reckless of him to go to them with such flimsy evidence~! :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:52 PM »
A very cool story that will keep me off Lottery for a while. I played a couple of times as a kid, but somehow the lack of reward made it unappealing.

I would have taken advantage...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:55 PM »
I'm just another voice chiming in to say it was a cool story.

I've never done the lottery, and don't intend to. Unless someone tells me how to crack it, perhaps.  :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:58 PM »
A very cool story that will keep me off Lottery for a while. I played a couple of times as a kid, but somehow the lack of reward made it unappealing.

for one full year, I bought a lotto scratch card every week - the odds of winning something on these cards were supposed to be 1:9.
I gave up after the year, havent bought a scratch card since

(yes, I do buy the other ones - especailly when I'm broke...)
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I buy lottery tickets every now and then, but very rarely. If I spend $20 a year, that's a lot. It's fun. You for a brief moment get to imagine another life of freedom.

I absolutely would have gamed the system as much as possible. And I wouldn't have felt guilty in the least. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I love this part:

Instead of secretly plundering the game, he decided to go to the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation. Srivastava thought its top officials might want to know about his discovery. Who knows, maybe they’d even hire him to give them statistical advice. “People often assume that I must be some extremely moral person because I didn’t take advantage of the lottery,” he says. “I can assure you that that’s not the case. I’d simply done the math and concluded that beating the game wasn’t worth my time.”

I thought that part was really funny, too. More for the fact that he wanted to make sure that everybody knew he was "immoral" but that it just wasn't worth the effort.

Reminds me of a clip from a Futurama episode that went something like this:

Some Guy: "If I wasn't so lazy I'd punch your lights out!"
Fry: "But you are lazy, right?"
Some Guy: "Oh, don't get me started!"

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 05:32 AM »
I just read that artice as well. Its cool idea. I have often thought that all games of 'chance' have to be calculatable.
And they probably are.
Sweet, we can make real money on this.
Lottery is a tax on those who are bad at maths. Until you get REALLY good at maths.