topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AT&T sued over iPhone data over-charging  (Read 2098 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AT&T sued over iPhone data over-charging
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:55 PM »
A California man has sued AT&T for over billing him on data charges for his iPhone, a move that could raise new questions on the carrier's billing practices. Patrick Hendricks claims that the carrier was charging him for usage even when he wasn't using any.

Hendricks uses the $15 monthly 200MB plan, and apparently became suspicious after he was charged overage fees for using 223MB worth of data across 259 data connections. His lawyers say that their research showed that AT&T was regularly over billing customers between 7 and 14 percent over actual data usage, and in some cases as much as 300 percent.

AT&T's billing errors on a customer basis may not be that large. However, apply that across all iPhone customers and it has a "huge effect" on the bottom line for the company, Hendricks' lawyers claim in the suit. "A significant portion of … data revenues were inflated by AT&T's rigged billing system for data transactions," they wrote.

Source @ Betanews

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: AT&T sued over iPhone data over-charging
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:05 PM »
This has been going on for YEARS! I'm a bit surprised that they've not stopped. It's not just AT&T though -- it's standard fare for carriers to do this.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker