ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New (Feb 1 2011) "Starter" Editions of Delphi and C++ Builder

<< < (4/5) > >>

Renegade:
I like "community editions". Free for non-commercial use or single developers, minimal fees for small developers ($50~$1000 depending on the product), etc.

Well, we'll see.

wraith808:
I like "community editions". Free for non-commercial use or single developers, minimal fees for small developers ($50~$1000 depending on the product), etc.

Well, we'll see.
-Renegade (February 05, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ This +1.  It's all in the licensing.  You don't sell anything (hobbyist or Open Source projects), you don't pay anything.  If you sell anything, you upgrade to the personal edition.

app103:
^ This +1.  It's all in the licensing.  You don't sell anything (hobbyist or Open Source projects), you don't pay anything.  If you sell anything, you upgrade to the personal edition.
-wraith808 (February 05, 2011, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The personal editions that Borland used to release were free but the licensing stated it could not be used to produce commercial software. Anything released that was built with them had to be freeware. (they also had some limitations, like no database related components were included).

The community editions were intended for producing open source software, only. (C++ Builder X comes to mind)

MilesAhead:
The component sharing was what made the old Delphi(pre .NET) fun. You could produce stand-alone exe programs for Windows without the messy message handler switch statement.  Install in your IDE and drag & drop onto a form.

Searching through the copy for this offering I don't even see the phrase "64 bit" anywhere.  PCs < $500 are coming with 6 GB ram and 64 bit Windows. Time to get with the 21st Century here!

What I'd like to see is a nice sophisticated free resource editor. I don't mind filling in the message handling statements later.  This way you could have RAD prototyping without that spaghetti vc++ code.  Just do Win32 native for nice small apps.  The VC++ 2010 even tells you how to add the 64 bit support for free.  Fairly painless.

If I'm going to do 32 bit exes then I might as well just reinstall Delphi 5 Pro. Back then you could back into the Pro version for reasonable money. I remember I bought the 1.0 standard version of C# for $60 and that qualified me for a competitive upgrade to get Delphi 5 Pro for $200 or $239.. something like that.

Now they want you to make less than a grand a year... how you supposed to buy anything from them? Indentured servitude?  Sheesh!!

Is MS still propping them up? I don't see how they're making a profit with this mess.

wraith808:
I'm pretty sure Embarcadero has no ties to MS.  They're just a company that made an investment in purchasing the compilers from Borland/Inprise.  And their marketing sucks just as much as before, from what I've seen.

-wraith808 (February 05, 2011, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The personal editions that Borland used to release were free but the licensing stated it could not be used to produce commercial software. Anything released that was built with them had to be freeware. (they also had some limitations, like no database related components were included).

The community editions were intended for producing open source software, only. (C++ Builder X comes to mind)
-app103 (February 05, 2011, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I meant... I mixed up personal with their new 'starter' in my statement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version