ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New (Feb 1 2011) "Starter" Editions of Delphi and C++ Builder

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:

* This weekend the company announced new "Starter" editions of C++ Builder and Delphi, priced at about $200.-mouser (February 01, 2011, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
...or you could get the (IMHO superior) Express editions of Visual C++ and C# instead, for free. Hard decision, hard decision.
-f0dder (February 02, 2011, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think superior- just different.  I too made the switch (for the major reason that Borland/Inprise had no marketing saavy and made some bad decisions, so I could see the writing on the wall... and Embarcadero doesn't seem much better), and haven't looked back.  But the products themselves as development environments were way ahead of their time.  They just didn't take advantage of it.  The big advantage that you'll get on the Embarcadero products over the Express products is the fact that there aren't the inbuilt limitations that come with using the Express products.  That's a big plus... potentially worth the expenditure.

fenixproductions:
Hard decision, hard decision.-f0dder (February 02, 2011, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not for me. It was one of the happiest days for me to ditch Delphi.

On the other hand: does Delphi have this?

wraith808:
^ I think that was sarcasm ;D (Wow... two threads to point that out... LOL)

marcdw:
Note also the upgrade pricing at $150. Quite liberal I must say.

Delphi XE Starter and C++Builder XE Starter

Delphi XE and C++Builder XE Starter upgrade/competitive upgrade pricing is available to owners of any other IDE or software development tool including earlier versions of Delphi, C++Builder, Turbo Delphi, Turbo C++, Turbo Pascal or any other paid or free IDE from any other vendor (such as Visual Studio Express Editions, Lazarus, Eclipse, and others).
--- End quote ---

worstje:
Hmm, I have Delphi 5 lying around somewhere still. Can't recall where tho, and even if I did I kinda think Delphi went down the drain in the last few years. They should have gone with free releases and stuck to x86/x64 development rather than jump the .NET-wagon. :(

I loved the fact the guides and documentation I got with it was like 1,000 pages long. Documentation seems to suck nowadays imo. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version