ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Funnier IE6 Story

<< < (2/2)

Target:
I've got a better one - company I work for still uses IE6

and they can't 'upgrade' because some of the apps they've developed are incompatible with other browsers(including other versions of IE...)

Renegade:
I've got a better one - company I work for still uses IE6

and they can't 'upgrade' because some of the apps they've developed are incompatible with other browsers(including other versions of IE...)
-Target (February 02, 2011, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

You have my deepest sympathies. :(

I've done a lot of work with custom browsers and whatnot. I really think it's a better direction than staying with an outdated browser. If you need something specific as an application, you really shouldn't be going browser-specific because browsers just get out-dated. If you can spin it all off into a custom browser, then you're set -- a dedicated purpose browser that doesn't interfere with your main browser. Sigh... Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Target:

I've done a lot of work with custom browsers and whatnot. I really think it's a better direction than staying with an outdated browser. If you need something specific as an application, you really shouldn't be going browser-specific because browsers just get out-dated. If you can spin it all off into a custom browser, then you're set -- a dedicated purpose browser that doesn't interfere with your main browser. Sigh... Just my $0.02 on the subject. -Renegade (February 02, 2011, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

yeah, but why go to the trouble of sourcing or developing a dedicated browser when there are already plenty of choices available

I always thought browsers were supposed to be (more or less) content agnostic, so the idea of a a developer tying their app to a single version of a single browser seems somewhat, errrm, 'short sighted'...(then again, maybe not...)

Renegade:

I've done a lot of work with custom browsers and whatnot. I really think it's a better direction than staying with an outdated browser. If you need something specific as an application, you really shouldn't be going browser-specific because browsers just get out-dated. If you can spin it all off into a custom browser, then you're set -- a dedicated purpose browser that doesn't interfere with your main browser. Sigh... Just my $0.02 on the subject. -Renegade (February 02, 2011, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

yeah, but why go to the trouble of sourcing or developing a dedicated browser when there are already plenty of choices available

I always thought browsers were supposed to be (more or less) content agnostic, so the idea of a a developer tying their app to a single version of a single browser seems somewhat, errrm, 'short sighted'...(then again, maybe not...)
-Target (February 02, 2011, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Building a custom browser is simple and easy. And it poses no extra burden on the operating system or browser in terms of upgrade costs.

I don't know what you're using there, or what you're doing with the browser, so it's hard to intelligently comment on any specific issues.

The thing with a custom browser is that you have complete control over the entire thing. And you're isolated from everything else, so no upgrade worries.

The practical upshot is that instead of having a "browser" to run an application in, you have an application that runs a browser in it. THAT is the key. If it's an important function that your company/organization depends on, then a browser plugin may not be the right way to go simply because then you potentially screw yourself for browser upgrades, as you're seeing right now. With the dedicated application route, you don't have those problems.

Does that make sense?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version