topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: obsessive drawing  (Read 4347 times)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
obsessive drawing
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:14 AM »
I saw this really neat art exhibit at the Folk Art Museum in New York City the other day, called "Obsessive Drawing."  It presented the works of four people who have spent countless hours -- years, really -- making drawings that have an obsessive quality about them, a need to fill space repetitively, trance-like.

It was kind of scary, yet compelling and wonderful.  Sort of fits in with the "autism quotient" thread.  You can get some idea by looking at these pictures.  Check it out.  If you're intrigued, read the New York Times review at the bottom of the page for more info about these remarkable pictures.

http://www.folkartmu.../default.asp?id=1266

Reminds me of an interview I heard, many years ago, of a man who had sheds full of journals, floor to ceiling.  He started recording his daily activities and got ever more detailed.  Soon he was reporting on the number of steps he took to get to the refrigerator, the number of peas on his plate, the lint on his shirt, etc.  He actually didn't have time to "do" anything because he was so busy recording every detail of what was happening and these activities interfered.  Funnily enough, he seemed quite happy with his life.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: obsessive drawing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:02 PM »
I have to say that I spend many hours a week compulsively drawing what I can only describe as 'geometric shapes' whilst in business meetings, but the intricacy of some of the works on the site truly make me wonder, though others seem to have a simplistic quality that seemingly belie the true nature of the artist and their motives.   Looking at some of the real life measurements it is hard to get a true sense of scale for some of these works.  Amazingly self-obsessed, yet stunningly myopic.  Impressive.
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: obsessive drawing
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 12:57 PM »
If you're intrigued, read the New York Times review at the bottom of the page for more info about these remarkable pictures.
Nice article! Too bad the images on the site aren't high-res, you can't really see much of the details :(

Reminds me of an interview I heard, many years ago, of a man who had sheds full of journals, floor to ceiling.  He started recording his daily activities and got ever more detailed.  Soon he was reporting on the number of steps he took to get to the refrigerator, the number of peas on his plate, the lint on his shirt, etc.  He actually didn't have time to "do" anything because he was so busy recording every detail of what was happening and these activities interfered.  Funnily enough, he seemed quite happy with his life.
Hmm, that reminds me of one (rich) guy who just archives his complete living room every x years, including all the furniture and electronic stuff (including PC). He just buys everything new and starts from there - don't know if he copies the data, but whether or not that's a strange and cool idea too - and leaves much more time for living...

:D