topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why does the Mayan calendar end on....?  (Read 16572 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why does the Mayan calendar end on....?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Uh... so basically all knowledge is questionable, especially any presented by anything resembling an "authority". Therefore believe whatever you want and feel free to try to convince others of it. For my part the lack of acknowledgement of basic physics in this thread (e.g. if a "dark" body passed close enough to obscure parts of the sky with its disc, it would cause huge gravitational issues for one thing) means I shan't continue in it. I'm afraid I'm just a bit too serious for the fun here. :D

- Oshyan

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Uh... so basically all knowledge is questionable, especially any presented by anything resembling an "authority". Therefore believe whatever you want and feel free to try to convince others of it. For my part the lack of acknowledgment of basic physics in this thread (e.g. if a "dark" body passed close enough to obscure parts of the sky with its disc, it would cause huge gravitational issues for one thing) means I shan't continue in it. I'm afraid I'm just a bit too serious for the fun here. :D

- Oshyan

Uh... no I am not suggesting to "Question Authority," but I will not ascribe the full attributes due knowledge to anything that is labeled, "knowledge" by anyone who chooses to exalt his/her understanding.  To do so moves one from what is real to what one believes to be real, simply because a favored celebrity of science says so.  Stephen Hawkings has stated numerous things he understands about the universe.  Unfortunately, he chooses to negate and dismiss items of reality I have experienced directly; therefore, I cannot apply the badge of "authority" to his "knowledge."  For me to do that would be to "see" the "Emperor's New Clothes," just like everyone else.

In regard to physics, to equate size of the appearance of a celestial body to it's density is not logical.  The singularity of a black hole's gravitational effects would be disastrously underestimated in such a case.  At some point, a "black disk" in the night sky will have a gravitational effect, but it does not follow it would be strong enough until quite close, perhaps... too close.

Sorry you feel you have to vacate, but I hope you have fun wherever you go!  :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 01:18 AM »
I know my reply is not in line with OP.  But my two cents anyway. Nowhere in mayan scripture they mentioned about re-boot of this planet or end of this planet etc. I don't understand why we are making assumption based on their inability of writing one more year in their calendar ? or do they mean their calendar will show same date backwards or from the start after 2012 because earthlings are predictable to some natural actions ?

You can never disprove what you don't know.
That means pink invisible unicorn exists ?

Any civilization, religion or tribe which wastes  time on doomsday prediction and fails to save their own life, has error in their calculations and can't be taken seriously. Apart from mayan there are other two old civilizations which got extinct and very few religions like jainism, hinduism and budhism records history of mankind and their actions. And those observations are also full of loopholes like any other religious book. So to be honest, my point is sometimes we overestimate the intellect of our ancestors. If they were to be that smart, why they never collected all of their knowledge in wikipedia :P ?(no i'm serious here apart from that wikipedia word). Any civilization which understand the calculated doomsday will try to save the species of this planet somehow and will not give sacrifice of virgin to some gods or commit suicide way before doomsday.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 01:57 AM »
I never thought a simple question about an ancient artifact would have resulted in this!?  

I must admit I did become a little whimsical in foisting on everyone my "Dark Planet" scenario. I am disappointed very little attention has been paid to the potential reality associated with my fictional conjectures which have all been completely consistent with the known physical laws.  Instead of a general beneficial dialectic exploring possibilities "outside of the box," most of what has been offered seems to be intent on protecting some sacred cows. Even Gene Roddenberry understood that science was, "...to boldly go where no one has gone before." Why can't we?

Shortly after initiating this thread, I chose the doomsday vector. I could just as easily have purported a more docile scenario, but it wouldn't have been as near as much fun!  :)

FWIW, my curiosity has been satisfied and my panorama on this subject has been widely expanded, so I consider the venture a success.  The best part of this community is the freedom to be yourself and not have to fear irresponsible retribution.

Thanks to all who added something to the thread, regardless of the content.  

~CT
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:22 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 04:04 AM »
About that dark planet theory, what are the co-ordinates where we can spot it ?(i'm just learning to use Kstars so maybe i can give it a try).

i mean i see no astronomical reference or hubble reference for this planet ? is it fictitious ? or maybe just in theory or something ?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12 PM »
It's kind of fun to speculate and let the imagination run wild. What if it wasn't a calendar, or an indication of when time would "end" but rather a countdown timer to when some big event would happen? Maybe we wouldn't even consider it that big of an event. Maybe Haley's Comet will be flying by in 2012? Maybe that's when extra terrestrials will contact us? Maybe that's when their time capsule will unearth itself. Maybe it marks the beginning of a 10 (or 20 or 50) year "calm before the storm" that is the real end of the world as we know it.

In all likelihood, it's probably just the Mayan equivalent of the Y2K fiasco. They knew time would go on past 2012, but they didn't really plan ahead that far.

It's kind of like if, 500 years from now mankind has finally calculated Pi and looks back on the people of today wondering why we gave up at the 2.7 trillionth decimal place.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 05:29 AM »
This was interesting...and probably made more sense than anything I have read concerning the Mayan calendar and all this doomsday stuff: http://www.bbsradio.....pl?md=read;id=26353

According to that, our calendar is off and we got the date wrong. It was Dec 21, 2010, which has already passed. The day of a total lunar eclipse on the winter solstice.

An astrologer, Victoria Peltz just wrote an article explaining that we are – or may be - two years off in our calendar because of the confusion back in the 16th century between the Gregorian and Julian calendar. In other words when we interpreted the end of the age in the Mayan calendar as 2012, it should have been 2010.  Now what is so interesting about that is when I heard of the 2012 end of the world scenario, I immediately did a chart for Dec 21, 2012 and saw nothing.  Then I asked a few of my astro friends and they saw nothing.  BUT, if I do a chart for Dec 21, 2010, I see a spectacular, powerful eclipse lasting over one hour.  Also, in July 2010, we have a cardinal T-Square with Saturn, Uranus and Pluto in the sky that can be seen as a herald or portent of things to come. People have been predicting the end of the world approximately every couple of centuries since 2800 BC when it was written on a clay table in Assyria. And the Mayan elders have been trying to tell everyone that the end of a Cycle on their calendar is not the end of the world.

Dec 21, 2012 is actually Dec 21, 2010 2010 is a WHOPPER! And is more the REAL 2012. The alignments of December 21, 2012 is nowhere near the power of December 21, 2010 More and more astrologers say this year is THE ONE. They were 2 years off ! It will happen at WORLD POINT 0 degrees Cancer, and have an effect the world Over, it will also conjunct Hades. ECLIPSE SMACK DAB ON WINTER SOLSTICE DAY. On 21st December 2010 coincides with a total lunar eclipse. This is the only Lunar eclipse that will occur over this period of 36 years or so during Which the winter solstice sunrise is directly aligned to the Galactic Centre. The Mayans, among other cultures, have identified this dark rift in The Milky Way galaxy (between Sagittarius & Scorpio) as the cosmic source of all creation (and destruction) and they have specifically tied their Mythological and calendrical traditions to its winter solstice alignment. It is the place to which the Mayan shamans have always ventured on their visionary journeys in order to gain wisdom and understanding. On Winter Solstice this year, thanks to the lunar eclipse, and for the only time during this period of solar alignment, the Moon, Earth, Solstice Sun and Galactic Centre will all be in perfect alignment. So far everywhere I have been reading online everyone is saying it is what the 2012 should look like!!! BUT 12-21-2010 that looks like it instead

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Oh Great, now I have 3 possible cake timing dilemmas...

Hay, how about a countdown clock with a configurable Apocalypse? ...I could add an EoW (End of World) label to T-Clock... *Shrug* ...To dark maybe..? :-\

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 11:04 AM »
I think it's OK to be put here: CollegeHumor - End of the World Parody

:)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Per app's post, my 2 cents is that the Mayan calendar ends on 2012 because no one really knows when the correct date is and it has been modified time and time again with 2012 being the latest number.

Not that for some reason I kind of feel like 2012 is the correct date but I think even if you love the occult, two things need to be emphasized:

1) Just because a cycle ends doesn't mean a cycle begins. Even if it were to "reboot", doesn't mean we would understand how it would reboot as outside of the little Ice Age, we haven't discovered what a post-reboot environment is really like.

2) Just because a cycle ends, doesn't mean a cycle immediately ends. For all you guys know, the very reason our world was destined to end in 2012 was because everybody was all "Bird Flu", "Rapture" or "Y2K" all about it and when nothing "instantaneous" happened most everyone dropped their guards until events deteriorate beyond repair. (Let's say 2012 was our last chance to reduce pollution or population explosion before things totally go to hell for example)

btw not that Listverse is any credible source but for those looking for some more data about the Dark Planet:

This one started life as an archaeological find. A mysterious clay tablet was found in the Middle East years ago, made by the Sumerians (earliest inhabitants of middle east). Upon this tablet was a depiction of something that looked like our solar system; all the planets were there, and all of them were rotating around the sun. But there were 11 celestial bodies. Now we know there are only 9 planets. Maybe one of them was our moon or the recently discovered mini-planet Sedna? But where did the 11th come from? At the same time astronomers were perplexed by a strange force in the outer solar system. It seemed as though the outer planets were being pulled out of their orbit. Something massive must be out there. These combined findings led to the theory of the mysterious planet X.

Planet X is predicted to be 100s of time larger than Earth and to have a massive orbit of about 3,600 years.  When it comes through the inner solar system it could cause cataclysmic disaster upon our planet. It is so massive that it could turn our poles upside down, slow down the earth’s rotation or even stop it. If it gets close enough it could even peel the earth’s crust off, or push us into the sun. All bad scenarios.

On December 21, 2012, the solstice sun will align with the dark rift in the Milky Way. The dark rift (Great Rift) is the widest part of the Milky Way and corresponds to the direction of the center of the galaxy. As the alignment occurs, the solstice meridian will align with the crossing point of the ecliptic (the path of the Sun, moon and planets) and the plane of the galaxy, which is called the galactic equator, and pass on the other side. Alignments occur every 36 years, but this alignment is unique. At this time the sun appears to just touch one part of the dark rift that snakes its way along the Galactic Equator.

This is an area of the night sky considered important to Maya cosmology with respect to spiritual rebirth mythology. In some versions, the combined gravity of the galactic black hole and the sun will cause earthquakes, tsunamis, floods or severe weather. In other versions the alignment will cause more esoteric issues, such as a blockage of an undefined type of energy emanating from the black hole, or from the galactic core, or both. Aligning with the rift could cause major disturbances in the orbits of inner planets. Some people believe that this event could place the Earth in danger of being sucked into a black hole at the center of the dark rift in the Milky Way.

There are about 500 active volcanoes in the world. There are three known supervolcanoes in the US, (including Yellowstone), Lake Toba in Indonesia, Taupo in New Zealand and Aira Caldera in Japan. A supervolcano is a volcano capable of producing a volcanic eruption with an eruption radius greater than 240 cubic miles (1,000 cubic kilometers). Supervolcanoes are the most dangerous, with a Volcanic Explosivity Index of 8. This is thousands of times larger than most historic volcanic eruptions. Geologists believe that Yellowstone is the most likely supervolcano to erupt next, as it has been exhibiting signs of unrest, with earthquake swarms, ground deformation and considerable heat and gas emissions.

Earthquakes are the primary indicator that a volcano is about to erupt. The Yellowstone caldera experiences about 1500 measurable earthquakes a year. The last eruption of Yellowstone was 640,000 years ago. If it did erupt, expect half of the USA to be wiped out, and major variations in global climate for many years. Residual volcanic ash in the atmosphere would result in the devastation of world agriculture, severe disruption of food supplies and mass starvation. Yellowstone could emit 2,000 millions of tons of sulphuric acid, and could produce the equivalent of a “nuclear winter”, when the dust and debris from the fallout of a nuclear war block out sunlight for several years, causing worldwide famines.

In August, 2010, NASA reported that there would be a solar storm sometime in 2012. Every 11 years or so, changes in our star’s magnetic field bring on an increase in sunspots, solar flares and coronal mass ejections. The result is a barrage of charged particles hurling toward Earth. A solar storm is a sudden burst of very fast, charged particles from the Sun. It could be the result of a solar flare or a coronal mass ejection (CME) or both. A coronal mass ejection (CME) is a massive burst of solar wind (stream of charged particles ejected from the sun). A solar flare is a sudden eruption of magnetic energy released on the surface of the sun, usually accompanied by bursts of electromagnetic radiation. Ultraviolet and x-ray radiation from solar flares often induce electromagnetic disturbances in the earth’s atmosphere.

Solar storms would affect power grids, thus losing electricity. The Solar Storm itself would not cause an apocalypse, but it would bring about a sort of domino effect. People would then lose access to their heat/air conditioning, refrigeration, phone service and GPS. Also, drinking water distribution systems could break down in a couple of hours. Normally, a “Faraday Cage” protects the satellite’s internal equipment from external electrical charges, but constant bombardment of charges would cause satellites to break down. There are over 936 operating satellites in space, worth an estimated $200 billion to replace. Magnetic storm currents acting on gas pipelines are known to enhance the rate of corrosion over time, with potentially catastrophic cumulative effects.

http://listverse.com...pocalypse-scenarios/
http://listverse.com...pocalyptic-theories/

As for my own conspiracy theory: I don't see why a black hole doesn't fit the definition of a dark planet. A google search implies many have similar ideas although I haven't read them but still... it sounds like the most likely random event that coincides with a dark planet.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Planet X?
Oh yeah, I remember that one...
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nibiru_collision
 :-\

Hey Mouser!!
How about a IRLDD get-together on Dec 21, 2012 at someplace warm, elevated, and out of the way of city lights and stuff so we can watch it all happen (or not :P )?
Somewhere in South America just for the atmosphere, and because it'll be warm in December.