ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the Mayan calendar end on....?

<< < (3/8) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
The one on my computer ends 31st December 2099...does that mean if the mayans are wrong, no1 will see 2100? I think not!
-Stephen66515 (January 31, 2011, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

That may be true, but since I'm in my 50's, I'm pretty confident I won't see 2099, much less 2100!  :D

JavaJones:
The calendar doesn't "end" any more than the one hanging on your wall does on December 31st. It's just the beginning of a new cycle, end of story. It's happened before in recorded history several times (notice: no cataclysms those times) and it will happen again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar#Long_Count
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Not to mention that the date from the Mayan calendar may not be properly correlated with our (Gregorian) calendar anyway: http://www.livescience.com/culture/mayan-apocalypse-miscalculated-calendar-101018.html

- Oshyan

CodeTRUCKER:
@Everyone - Try to keep this thread on the topic of "Why did the Mayan calendar end?"  I really am very interested in serious commentary along with the fun.  While I am not particularly worried about my "Dark Planet" fiction, I understand the Maya to have been a culture that were technologically advanced in their sphere, but pre-dated even the time of Jesus by a factor of two.  Why would a race that had so much going for it end their calendar?   Like the king, Mongkut (Yul Brynner) lamented... "Is a puzzlement!"  

@SJ - Thanks for the flowers, I'm glad you enjoyed it!   Keep in mind it is only my imagination which connected the dots I laid out and the dots are not numbered.  Actually, I really was in the dark, but I did have to plan-it.

Eóin:
Please accept my rebuttal as friendly "sparring."  That's the way I received your comments! 
-CodeTRUCKER (January 31, 2011, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me too :)

When it comes to predicting a collision between planets, comets, etc, I do believe the math is extremely complicated. Predicting planet movements under the assumption for circular orbits (be they around the sun or earth) is one thing, but trying to predict the future path of a comet with potential to collide with the earth requires an awful lot of background knowledge together with extremely accurate observations..

So my suggestion for a disproof is that a) If records of the Mayans math and science levels are sufficiently comprehensive, and b) If they show that the Mayans did not have this necessary background knowledge - Then one could say with significant confidence that the Mayan calendar ending is not based an an accurate prediction of an impending collision.

Two big If's I know, but I just pointing out one way in which the Dark Planet theory could very genuinely be disproved.

As for why does the Mayan calendar have an end, I'd guess just some random religious notion, or perhaps the prediction of a supposed mystic who was 'under the influence'.

Stoic Joker:
IIRC the Mayan calendar in question is spot on for current events like seasons and (winter/sumer) solstices ... So their "math" does have established street cred...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version