ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the Mayan calendar end on....?

<< < (2/8) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
The one on my computer ends 31st December 2099...does that mean if the mayans are wrong, no1 will see 2100? I think not!

Stoic Joker:
Having a morbid fascination with all things apocalyptic, I cannot resist any chance to quip one liners regarding the Mayans contribution to the topic. - The anniversary->cake bit I just can't let go...the timing is perfect and it is (to me at least) hysterically funny.

Throughout history every crackpot with a following has at some point taken a stab at the when will the world end ...So far none of them have been right. But the law of averages dictates that eventually one of them will at least be close... (hehe)

@CT - Man I gotta tell you, I love your take on this. The Dark Planet thing is positively brilliant! But I gotta go with bullet 1's symmetry vote. Maybe just because I'm tired of worrying about the world ending (got enough of that crap when I ws growing up).

CodeTRUCKER:
@ Edvard

Hahaha!  Your cartoon was somewhere between bullet #1 and #2.  I really enjoyed it! 

I get what you were saying about an event of world-ending proportions would have garnered at least an honorable mention.  The only pertinent question I would venture is would cataclysmic events be highlighted if the Maya were subscribers to a fatalistic view?  If fate was the final authority in their day to day lives, an event such as a "Dark Planet" would simply be accepted, if not welcomed.  What do you think?

As far as the "no one knows the day or the hour," the Bible is not recognized as a universal standard.  Besides, there is surrounding context where these words are found which brings applicability into question, IMO.

Thanks for the quasi "Mayan Calendar Math for Dummies" type link.  I need it!  :)

CodeTRUCKER:
Hm. I can only say that calendar in my kitchen ends on 31st of December, 2011. And that's before Mayan :(
-fenixproductions (January 31, 2011, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ha!  This makes me wonder (given all the hype) if your next years calendar will show December 21, 2012 as the last day with a note that says in small print at bottom...

"In case the world does not end, please attach the enclosed addendum of December 22 thru 31 here.  Please note the addendum was shipped in the original shipping envelope.  If you have lost your addendum, don't bother contacting us for replacements since you would need to allow six to eight weeks to receive the replacement."

Stoic Joker:
I get what you were saying about an event of world-ending proportions would have garnered at least an honorable mention.-CodeTRUCKER (January 31, 2011, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which it very well may have, but as is the habit of the western bias you mentioned earlier...Any information deemed "inconvenient" is quickly "lost"/disposed of...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version