ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why does the Mayan calendar end on....?

<< < (6/8) > >>

JavaJones:
Uh... so basically all knowledge is questionable, especially any presented by anything resembling an "authority". Therefore believe whatever you want and feel free to try to convince others of it. For my part the lack of acknowledgement of basic physics in this thread (e.g. if a "dark" body passed close enough to obscure parts of the sky with its disc, it would cause huge gravitational issues for one thing) means I shan't continue in it. I'm afraid I'm just a bit too serious for the fun here. :D

- Oshyan

CodeTRUCKER:
Uh... so basically all knowledge is questionable, especially any presented by anything resembling an "authority". Therefore believe whatever you want and feel free to try to convince others of it. For my part the lack of acknowledgment of basic physics in this thread (e.g. if a "dark" body passed close enough to obscure parts of the sky with its disc, it would cause huge gravitational issues for one thing) means I shan't continue in it. I'm afraid I'm just a bit too serious for the fun here. :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 31, 2011, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uh... no I am not suggesting to "Question Authority," but I will not ascribe the full attributes due knowledge to anything that is labeled, "knowledge" by anyone who chooses to exalt his/her understanding.  To do so moves one from what is real to what one believes to be real, simply because a favored celebrity of science says so.  Stephen Hawkings has stated numerous things he understands about the universe.  Unfortunately, he chooses to negate and dismiss items of reality I have experienced directly; therefore, I cannot apply the badge of "authority" to his "knowledge."  For me to do that would be to "see" the "Emperor's New Clothes," just like everyone else.

In regard to physics, to equate size of the appearance of a celestial body to it's density is not logical.  The singularity of a black hole's gravitational effects would be disastrously underestimated in such a case.  At some point, a "black disk" in the night sky will have a gravitational effect, but it does not follow it would be strong enough until quite close, perhaps... too close.

Sorry you feel you have to vacate, but I hope you have fun wherever you go!  :)

mahesh2k:
I know my reply is not in line with OP.  But my two cents anyway. Nowhere in mayan scripture they mentioned about re-boot of this planet or end of this planet etc. I don't understand why we are making assumption based on their inability of writing one more year in their calendar ? or do they mean their calendar will show same date backwards or from the start after 2012 because earthlings are predictable to some natural actions ?

You can never disprove what you don't know.
--- End quote ---
That means pink invisible unicorn exists ?

Any civilization, religion or tribe which wastes  time on doomsday prediction and fails to save their own life, has error in their calculations and can't be taken seriously. Apart from mayan there are other two old civilizations which got extinct and very few religions like jainism, hinduism and budhism records history of mankind and their actions. And those observations are also full of loopholes like any other religious book. So to be honest, my point is sometimes we overestimate the intellect of our ancestors. If they were to be that smart, why they never collected all of their knowledge in wikipedia :P ?(no i'm serious here apart from that wikipedia word). Any civilization which understand the calculated doomsday will try to save the species of this planet somehow and will not give sacrifice of virgin to some gods or commit suicide way before doomsday.

CodeTRUCKER:
I never thought a simple question about an ancient artifact would have resulted in this!?  

I must admit I did become a little whimsical in foisting on everyone my "Dark Planet" scenario. I am disappointed very little attention has been paid to the potential reality associated with my fictional conjectures which have all been completely consistent with the known physical laws.  Instead of a general beneficial dialectic exploring possibilities "outside of the box," most of what has been offered seems to be intent on protecting some sacred cows. Even Gene Roddenberry understood that science was, "...to boldly go where no one has gone before." Why can't we?

Shortly after initiating this thread, I chose the doomsday vector. I could just as easily have purported a more docile scenario, but it wouldn't have been as near as much fun!  :)

FWIW, my curiosity has been satisfied and my panorama on this subject has been widely expanded, so I consider the venture a success.  The best part of this community is the freedom to be yourself and not have to fear irresponsible retribution.

Thanks to all who added something to the thread, regardless of the content.  

~CT

mahesh2k:
About that dark planet theory, what are the co-ordinates where we can spot it ?(i'm just learning to use Kstars so maybe i can give it a try).

i mean i see no astronomical reference or hubble reference for this planet ? is it fictitious ? or maybe just in theory or something ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version