topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Web images to get expiration date -- no, no, no!  (Read 5237 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Web images to get expiration date -- no, no, no!
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:31 AM »
devoted-jtt-fan-24585-1294344955-15.jpg

Help is at hand for anyone who has ever forgotten about embarrassing images they posted to a social network or website. German researchers have created software called X-Pire that gives images an expiration date by tagging them with an encrypted key. Once this date has passed the key stops the images being viewed and copied. Creators plan to levy a small charge to use the tagging system and put a digital lock on digital pictures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../technology-12215921

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Web images to get expiration date -- no, no, no!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:00 AM »
I can't see that gaining any traction anywhere.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:03 AM »
Viewing these images requires the free X-Pire browser add-on. Currently only a version that works with Firefox is available. Those without the viewer will be unable to see any protected image.

Am I going to install an addin for it? Nope. Will anyone else? Unlikely.

This testing was essential because the different ways that sites treat uploaded images added lots of complications.

"Facebook, for instance, does a huge amount of post-processing and whatever protection you deploy has to cope with that treatment," he said.

Seems like a waste of time to me. Why not just not put up embarrassing things in the first place?

I like the idea, but it really needs to be a standard, and not an addin.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 03:36 AM »
And even then I don't see it protecting anything. At most such an expiration date would be a recommendation - software would be free to ignore it as one sees fit. Or remove the protection, etc.

Once it is on the internet, you've ruined your life. It's always been that way, and always will be that way.

My presence on DoCo is the proof of that. :D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:50 AM »
Facebook is going to use social captcha (you have to recognize faces of your friends kinda captcha).. that looks much better for security as of now for social networks.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:07 AM »
This sounds more like some sort of DRM...

A photographer uploads images to the internet that expire in 30 days. Every 30 days he has to upload a new copy. Since he has the originals, he can do that. Those that steal his photos will not have them for very long, because they will still expire in 30 days.

Problem: How are they going to handle screen capture software from making unencrypted copies?

If the idea is that social networks themselves will use this technology on all images uploaded, then that wouldn't work well either.

Imagine someone that has many photos of themselves with their friends uploaded to facebook...someone with a lot of friends. Something happens and he dies a tragic death. His profile gets memorialized. All of a sudden photos start disappearing because they have expired. Now you have lots of angry people that can no longer visit their dead friend's profile and see all the pictures of all those memories.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Just sounds like a form of DRM to me.

I could see it working on something like Facebook, but it'd have to be opt in. As app suggests there are a number of reasons people wouldn't want their own pictures to just start disappearing from the web. I'm sure many people rely on Facebook as their sole backup, or even the only copy, of their most cherished albums.

Also, how many people realize a picture is embarrassing/inappropriate at the time?. It's only later you look back in shame, especially for teenagers.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 03:36 PM »
It's only later you look back in shame, especially for teenagers.

Hehe~! When I was a teen, there were no digital cameras. It would be funny though to see pictures of people back then with bad haircuts, drunk and high as a kite~!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 03:52 PM »
It would be funny though to see pictures of people back then with bad haircuts, drunk and high as a kite~!

In that case, here's a mental image for you. Back in the 60's my long hair caught in my bicycle wheel and I wound up to be a spokesman.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Hehe~! When I was a teen, there were no digital cameras. It would be funny though to see pictures of people back then with bad haircuts, drunk and high as a kite~!

Back in my day (love that phrase), we didn't do the stupid "jackass" stuff people do today. I have always told my students to take a picture of themselves and show it to their kids someday. The kids will LAUGH THEIR ARSES OFF at you, I promise. Same likely for the music you liked. They never believe me, but I've had many come back decades later and say, "You were right."

I'd hate to be a kid these days. There's no way you had the fun we did in the 60s and 70s. Yea, we had long sideburns and flare pants. But they were comfortable and showed off our high heels. ha! Oh well, I'm going there. What's funny is that most of these things -- and people -- are still around, and some still relevant.

lookaroundyou.jpg

bowiemug.jpg

honda-70cc.jpg

Cathy McGowan.jpg

1970s-flying.jpg

feelgood outside labworth-1977.jpg

Caine_and_Master_Po.jpg
Kwai Chang Caine changed my life (a little).

beatles at the paris.jpg

01_retrographica4.jpg

Michael-Jackson-p07.jpg

Indulgence over.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21 PM »
I'd hate to be a kid these days. There's no way you had the fun we did in the 60s and 70s.

Hahahaha~!

Yeah... You haven't lived until you've said, "Guys... We've been like stoned for the last 3 weeks solid... Let's try something else for a change." :P

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 06:39 AM »
What's that old saying; If you can remember the 60's you weren't really there...

:D ...While I missed the 60's, I have only the vaguest recollection of the 70's (which I assume to mean I enjoyed them).