ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Web images to get expiration date -- no, no, no!

(1/3) > >>

zridling:

Help is at hand for anyone who has ever forgotten about embarrassing images they posted to a social network or website. German researchers have created software called X-Pire that gives images an expiration date by tagging them with an encrypted key. Once this date has passed the key stops the images being viewed and copied. Creators plan to levy a small charge to use the tagging system and put a digital lock on digital pictures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12215921

Renegade:
I can't see that gaining any traction anywhere.

Renegade:
Viewing these images requires the free X-Pire browser add-on. Currently only a version that works with Firefox is available. Those without the viewer will be unable to see any protected image.
--- End quote ---

Am I going to install an addin for it? Nope. Will anyone else? Unlikely.

This testing was essential because the different ways that sites treat uploaded images added lots of complications.

"Facebook, for instance, does a huge amount of post-processing and whatever protection you deploy has to cope with that treatment," he said.
--- End quote ---

Seems like a waste of time to me. Why not just not put up embarrassing things in the first place?

I like the idea, but it really needs to be a standard, and not an addin.

worstje:
And even then I don't see it protecting anything. At most such an expiration date would be a recommendation - software would be free to ignore it as one sees fit. Or remove the protection, etc.

Once it is on the internet, you've ruined your life. It's always been that way, and always will be that way.

My presence on DoCo is the proof of that. :D

mahesh2k:
Facebook is going to use social captcha (you have to recognize faces of your friends kinda captcha).. that looks much better for security as of now for social networks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version