ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Block/Unblock all network traffic button (one-click)

<< < (3/11) > >>

40hz:
Wouldn't it be easier to use DEVCON?

(Note: This is the real "oldie" way to do it. Can't remember where I first read about this.)

You'd need to download it from Microsoft if devcon.exe isn't in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.

Once you've got it installed, open a command prompt and use

DEVCON FIND  * > C:\device.list to get a list of your devices.

Once you've identified the device you want to control you can use

DEVCON [ENABLE|DISABLE] *device_id to control it.

On the PC I'm currently sitting at, the NIC is identified as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1039&SUBSYS_2009107B&REV_82\4&29817089&0&40F0: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

All I need to do now is grab a unique chunk of the string (I picked 1039&SUBSYS)

Check to be sure it's both the device I want - and a unique string using:

DEVCON FIND *1039&SUBSYS

Devcon returned the following which shows the string is unique to the device I want to control:

C:\Documents and Settings\ek>devcon find *1039&SUBSYS
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1039&SUBSYS_2009107B&REV_82\4&29817089&0&40F0: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
1 matching device(s) found.

Now all I need to do to disable it is enter:

DEVCON DISABLE *1039&SUBSYS

C:\Documents and Settings\ek>devcon disable *1039&SUBSYS
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1039&SUBSYS_2009107B&REV_82\4&29817089&0&40F0: Disabled
1 device(s) disabled.

And to enable it:

DEVCON ENABLE *1039&SUBSYS

C:\Documents and Settings\ek>devcon enable *1039&SUBSYS
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1039&SUBSYS_2009107B&REV_82\4&29817089&0&40F0: Enabled
1 device(s) enabled.

From here you could just do up a batch file for each and throw their shortcuts in your Quick Launch Tool Bar (if you're lazy) or do up the commands in a fancy script or tray tool if you're more ambitious.

Real code wonks (which I'm not) could write a whole program to check for and optionally install devcon, get the device list, and verify the correct device was selected before writing the command settings to a file. That would make it a nice general purpose end-user type utility squatting in the tray all ready for immediate action.

Note: If you're using a third-party firewall, many have a stop-all-network-activity button which accomplishes the same thing without needing to actually disable the NIC hardware.

:)

techidave:
Nice find 40hz!  just to let others know that the download from Micrsoft is a zip file that should be extracted to the system32 folder.  I d/l the file and then when I tried to run it, it wanted to unzip it.  Looks like there is a 32 and 64 bit version plus the eula.

40hz:
^ You are correct. There is a 32 and a 64bit version. Completely forgot about that.

Good catch. :Thmbsup:

Note: Once you've got devcon extracted, be sure you either rename the self-extracting download file or move it off the desktop. If you don't, and you attempt to run devcon via a batch file, the batch will glom onto the download rather than the executable in the SYSTEM32 directory. And you'll go crazy wondering what's going on. 

Why Microsoft called the archive the same thing as the contained executable is anybody's guess.

patthecat:
Another alternative is set up a static private ip on the network card you are using.

You can use NetSetMan to create a profile for that card to assign a static private ip of 169.254.x.x
and another profile to auto assign IP and DNS.  This way it's sort-of one click.

I use NetSetMan to assign various static IPs, or to switch to various DNS servers.

Ath:
Since I've switched to MSE from Kaspersky, there is one thing I miss: the "block all network traffic" button.
-superboyac (January 30, 2011, 12:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you ever actually used that feature? And if so, what was happening that made you decide to turn your network off?

I've seen that (big) switch in ZoneAlarm ever since it was introduced, years ago, and I never understood what would have to happen, that I should switch the connection off :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version