topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Betelgeuse" Email Doins'  (Read 2823 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Betelgeuse" Email Doins'
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:04 AM »
I was checking out an alternate meaning of a word on www.thesaurus.com and discovered this little tidbit...

<quote>
Apparently, some pseudo-scientific gossip is circulating online claiming that Betelgeuse will explode in 2012, causing damaging neutrino release and gamma radiation. There will be two bright, sun-like bodies in our earthling sky, the sun and a super bright type II supernova.

</quote>

Since Betelgeuse is 520 light-years away from us, here is a dual set of copper(?) rail-splitter type presidential mintage for your consideration...

• If "B" already went into supernova anytime in the last five centuries, it's already coming and we won't know anything until it happens which could be between now and ~518 years into the future.  Since neutrinos and all other EMR travels at the speed of light, its effects, if any, will be seen and felt at the same time. Even the Hubble Space Telescope wouldn't see it sooner.
  • If "B" does go supernova on 12/21/2012, we still won't know about it for 520 years.

So, what's the moral of this story... Don't worry, "B" happy!   :P

Ciao!
 ~CT

<Edit> Corrected date.  Thanks SJ! </Edit>
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:31 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Betelgeuse" Email Doins'
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:15 AM »
  • If "B" does go supernova on 12/12/2012, we still won't know about it for 520 years.

Actually the Mayan date is 12/21/2012, and I'm still a bit irked by nobody narrowing it down to a time yet. The wife & I will be having our 21st wedding anniversary that day ... And I really need to know if we're going to be wasting a perfectly good cake.

I have no problems going with a morning coffee cake if it's to be an afternoon extinction.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Betelgeuse" Email Doins'
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48 AM »
So, whats the moral of this story... Don't worry, "B" happy!   :P

Hahahahah~! Nice one~! :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker