ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

computer system info software

(1/2) > >>

techidave:
I have been looking at all the software out there like Belarc Advisor, SIW, PC Wizard 2010 to name a few.  I really like the output that Belarc gives but it isn't quite as detailed as say SIW is.  SIW will let you save in HTML but it won't show you the licensing keys.  Most of the freeware stuff won't give you a report which is what I really want.  I am wanting this to run on some of my client's computers just so I know what they have.

I don't know if this is possible or not but would like to see it find information on the display and keyboard on laptop so that I don't have to open them up to get the part information off of them so that I can order new ones.  maybe there is another way of getting this info.

Some of these programs give way, way too much info for me.  All I want is a summary.  But would like for it to also tell me the RPM speed of the hard drive and the buffer size as well as the model and make.

maybe there is something out there that I haven't stumbled across yet or perhaps this would be a coding snack (big one?).  ;)

any ideas?

oh yeah, i forgot.  It needs to be portable

Shades:
The version of SIW that I have is portable and does show you the license key of Windows itself (check 'Software > Operating systems), the license keys from installed applications (check 'Software > Licenses) and passwords to websites (check 'Software > Secrets).

The SIW version that I use is 'build 2008-07-15 freeware'.
Hmmm, it looks like I need an update from this piece of software...

techidave:
yeah it does show the keys within the program.  but on the reports it doesn't, at least in the latest build.  you have to buy the pro version to get some of that kind of stuff.  I am using the portable version 2010.7.14.0

Carol Haynes:
SIW has now gone down the OpenCandy route for the home version - so for me that is the end of a useful tool :-(

MilesAhead:
http://www.lookinmypc.com/

The name suggests it's for newbs but it sure made a nice html table print-out of my services and their current state.

It's been a long time since I used it.  But I seem to remember the html report had an annoying side-bar with links that could be removed by a couple of small edits of the html file.  Probably a "<div>" section delete to have everything display as a simple table.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version