ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Egypt Blacks Out Internet!

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
It's really interesting what's happening over there!

Anyone from Egypt or in touch with people who are who can give us an update from your perspective?

Deozaan:
Anyone else notice how the current U.S. administration made efforts to put into place an Internet kill switch for the President but responds to Egypt by saying that shutting down of Internet is a "sign of dictators"?

See: Obama Can Shut Down Internet For 4 Months Under New Emergency Powers

Anyone from Egypt or in touch with people who are who can give us an update from your perspective?
-mouser (January 28, 2011, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nobody in Egypt has internet right now, so I don't think so. :P

Cpilot:
Anyone else notice how the current U.S. administration made efforts to put into place an Internet kill switch for the President but responds to Egypt by saying that shutting down of Internet is a "sign of dictators"?

See: Obama Can Shut Down Internet For 4 Months Under New Emergency Powers

-mouser (January 28, 2011, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nobody in Egypt has internet right now, so I don't think so. :P
-Deozaan (January 28, 2011, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Best reason I've ever seen to tell government to keep their hands off the internet.

kartal:
So now we know that the Internet is not a right, it is a privilege that can be taken away anytime.

Renegade:
So now we know that the Internet is not a right, it is a privilege that can be taken away anytime.
-kartal (January 30, 2011, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oooo... Dangerous...

I don't think I'd ever go that far. It's all about communication, and labeling communication a "privilege" is too far for me. Labeling the Internet a "right" may be far too.

I'm not sure where to draw lines, but cutting communications for people is too far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version