Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 09:08:03 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Egypt Blacks Out Internet!  (Read 2158 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »

Ok, I know this is political, but it's relevant for us:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12306041

Egypt severs internet connection amid growing unrest

Protester tearing a picture of President Mubarak Egyptian activists are protesting against a lack of freedom

Internet connections across Egypt appear to have been cut, as authorities gear up for a day of mass protest.

Net analysis firms and web watchers have reported that the vast majority of the country's internet has become unreachable.

The unprecedented crack down will leave millions of Egyptians without internet access.

There have been unprecedented protest in the country over the past few days - much of it co-ordinated via the web.

If I were there, and wasn't protesting, THAT would make me protest~! tongue

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »

Couldn't help it...

http://cynic.me/2011/01/28/egypt-404-not-found/

cheesy tongue

Egypt is now officially in the 404 club~! tongue

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »

Internet is tool of evil to connect minds of non-believers. Internet should be haram for believers. Hence, fatwa issued against internet ?   Grin

Sorry, can't help it. cheesy
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »

If I were there, and wasn't protesting, THAT would make me protest~!

They've gone too far by a country Nile!

Chris
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

Egypt is in a state of the Nile, i'd say..

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »

It's really interesting what's happening over there!

Anyone from Egypt or in touch with people who are who can give us an update from your perspective?
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »

Anyone else notice how the current U.S. administration made efforts to put into place an Internet kill switch for the President but responds to Egypt by saying that shutting down of Internet is a "sign of dictators"?

See: Obama Can Shut Down Internet For 4 Months Under New Emergency Powers

Anyone from Egypt or in touch with people who are who can give us an update from your perspective?

Nobody in Egypt has internet right now, so I don't think so. tongue

Cpilot
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »

Anyone else notice how the current U.S. administration made efforts to put into place an Internet kill switch for the President but responds to Egypt by saying that shutting down of Internet is a "sign of dictators"?

See: Obama Can Shut Down Internet For 4 Months Under New Emergency Powers

Nobody in Egypt has internet right now, so I don't think so. tongue
Best reason I've ever seen to tell government to keep their hands off the internet.
kartal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »

So now we know that the Internet is not a right, it is a privilege that can be taken away anytime.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »

So now we know that the Internet is not a right, it is a privilege that can be taken away anytime.

Oooo... Dangerous...

I don't think I'd ever go that far. It's all about communication, and labeling communication a "privilege" is too far for me. Labeling the Internet a "right" may be far too.

I'm not sure where to draw lines, but cutting communications for people is too far.

zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »

The world needs an undernet because politicians and corporations will keep doing this crap as they squeeze the internet down to nothing but banal advertising chatter.

- zaine (on Google+)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.42 ]