ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Choosing a CMS

<< < (7/18) > >>

Renegade:
Well, I looked into Joomla again, and it's out. Their assholeish strict interpretation of the GPL rules out too much. The SMF forum bridge killed there. Sigh... Babies and bathwater...

I also looked into CMS MS, and it looks like it doesn't have any support for any major forum software, so that's out.

Thinking about WordPress... and same problem as Joomla. GPL. Oh well.

So, I pretty much decided on SMF or vBulletin. Which don't go with WP or Joomla. :(

There is a jfusion program that lets you integrate other software with Joomla, but... That's yet another thing to cobble together... And another point of possible failure...

I think I'll stick with DotNetNuke. It has 95%+ of everything you want already built in and ready to go. While their forum software isn't a nice as SMF or vBulletin, it's adequate.

Sigh... I was kind of looking forward to a change there. Oh well.

wraith808:
^ What was it in the interpretation of GPL that killed Joomla/WordPress for you?  Just wondering, since I'm looking to upgrade my site also.

JavaJones:
Joomla's strict interpretation of GPL *is* annoying. Not sure if Wordpress has the same issue.

Silverstripe and Concrete5 both have integrated forum and whatnot. Not as well established as DNN, but newer, leaner, slicker. :D

- Oshyan

Renegade:
^ What was it in the interpretation of GPL that killed Joomla/WordPress for you?  Just wondering, since I'm looking to upgrade my site also.
-wraith808 (January 30, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

They have an overwhelming compulsion to be assholes:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=184557.0

I just don't see why they need to exclude all non-GPL (compatible) software like that. It does nothing to preserve "freedom". SMF isn't a part of Joomla, and Joomla isn't a part of SMF, so why the need to refuse to let them work together? They're scripts. Meh... I just don't care.

I forget where else I read, but WordPress has the same strict view for themes even. That just seems extreme to me.

What next? Linux declares all programs running on it must be GPL... All content on all GPL sites must be GPL? Microsoft bans GPL software on Windows? Apple bans all non-Apple software on everything?

I actually want to expand this site, so I don't want to get screwed by licensing. Their interpretation of the GPL is just too radical.

40hz:
^ What was it in the interpretation of GPL that killed Joomla/WordPress for you?  Just wondering, since I'm looking to upgrade my site also.
-wraith808 (January 30, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

They have an overwhelming compulsion to be assholes:

http://www.simplemachines.../index.php?topic=184557.0

I just don't see why they need to exclude all non-GPL (compatible) software like that. It does nothing to preserve "freedom".

-Renegade (January 30, 2011, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does a lot to prevent other interests from exploiting a GPL product's installed base of users by piggy-backing on it's success without playing by the same rules.

It's also somewhat disingenuous to criticize GPL projects for asking that their rules be obeyed when you consider they are giving away valuable work in exchange for you respecting such rules.

People that don't like the terms of the GPL should feel free to go out and purchase whatever software they feel would suit their needs better, and conveniently disregard the fact that the EULAs on such products place even greater restrictions on the user than GPL ever would.
 :)

-----

Addendum: (minor point) Just because somebody does something you don't agree with (or understand) doesn't automatically make them an "asshole." And characterizing them as such doesn't add anything to either the tone, or the caliber, of the discussion. (Just my tuppence.)

One thing I find interesting is that the developers of the SMF Bridge, while not happy about what went down, still don't seem to have moral or philosophical problems with Joomla's decision on the matter. See below (emphasis added):

As a result of this change of direction, only GPL-licensed software can legally be distributed and used inside the Joomla! software. While we regret and are saddened by this development, we respect Joomla!'s position on their software license.
--- End quote ---

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version