ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Choosing a CMS

<< < (4/18) > >>

Stoic Joker:
*Shrug* Don't know that I ever met one I couldn't talk off a ledge... How screwed-up is which part?
-Stoic Joker (January 28, 2011, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a multi-proc machine and has tons of power. I should have installed VMware then installed Windows and Linux. It's the last time I'll make that mistake. Basically, to fix the problem I'd have to wipe it then reinstall everything. That's time consuming, especially as it's already working and I've have to move everything off to another server. -Renegade (January 28, 2011, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... I've had projects like that. In a year from now you'll end up hating yourself if you just let it go undone. Best to bite the bullet and get it over-with before the 7 eyed monster grows a second head.

I had to do that with our company's main server a few years back because the whole shebang was on a single partition. Single domain controller, with Exchange, the inventory & accounting software, and all the user's files (etc...), (it was not my design) that had to be online 24/7.

Needless to say I had to preserve all of the various configurations, AD, and the company mail. It was a total bitch (I worked 48 hours straight that weekend), but I had it back up and running Monday morning.

And I had it setup right (finally), so all the silly assed problem that had been plaguing me, vanished!

Renegade:
*Shrug* Don't know that I ever met one I couldn't talk off a ledge... How screwed-up is which part?
-Stoic Joker (January 28, 2011, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a multi-proc machine and has tons of power. I should have installed VMware then installed Windows and Linux. It's the last time I'll make that mistake. Basically, to fix the problem I'd have to wipe it then reinstall everything. That's time consuming, especially as it's already working and I've have to move everything off to another server. -Renegade (January 28, 2011, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... I've had projects like that. In a year from now you'll end up hating yourself if you just let it go undone. Best to bite the bullet and get it over-with before the 7 eyed monster grows a second head.

I had to do that with our company's main server a few years back because the whole shebang was on a single partition. Single domain controller, with Exchange, the inventory & accounting software, and all the user's files (etc...), (it was not my design) that had to be online 24/7.

Needless to say I had to preserve all of the various configurations, AD, and the company mail. It was a total bitch (I worked 48 hours straight that weekend), but I had it back up and running Monday morning.

And I had it setup right (finally), so all the silly assed problem that had been plaguing me, vanished!
-Stoic Joker (January 28, 2011, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it possible to setup Active Directory on a single server?

Stoic Joker:
Is it possible to setup Active Directory on a single server?-Renegade (January 28, 2011, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Possible? sure. Wise? Not really... But if you look at the budget of most SMBs, you're damn lucky to get the first server in there (Part of why I'm such a fan of RAID5). Availability, redundancy, ($$$) How much more?!? It's too hard to sell (or really justify) for most small shops.

Hell the only reason our company has the balanced 3 server configuration we're using is they didn't have to shell out 90+ an hour to have it designed, setup, and configured. I did most of it (remotely) on my own time! Basically just because I like doing that kind of stuff ... And I felt being able to showcase the right way of setting up a network would help to dramatize what we can and will do for our clients..

allen:
I really dislike Joomla.  I've found the setup process to be quite convoluted and more complex/tedius than it needs to be (This is working from the ground up, not tweaking pre-existing templates). The code it generates if awful, littered with nested tables. The backend is a mess with a higher learning curve than [I feel] its featureset really warrants.

I've become a big fan of WordPress over the last couple years, it's evolved into a respectable CMS.  It cannot handle the complex work flow of the beast that is Drupal, but is a very elegant solution in most cases. On the surface it's relatively simple to implement and extremely easy to learn and use -- and since you've used it for blogging, you already know how. If you dig in a little deeper (Custom Menus, custom fields, custom post times, taxonomy...) can be quite flexible/extensible.  Short of projects that literally required ground-up custom infrastructure, I've yet to run into a situation where Wordpress came up short. Take into account the massive library of plugins and themes available for it you've got a lot available within close reach. I can think of no reason not to use it. (Which is ultimately why I went from not using it to using it myself).

rgdot:
WordPress is really the best in most cases, become a big fan myself. However it has a bit to go to justify the CMS tag that's been hyped for it.
I wouldn't call it a true CMS until those custom fields become 'true' content blocks that are insertable within the content. In CMS content really needs to be divided into areas or blocks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version