ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Choosing a CMS

<< < (3/18) > >>

Stoic Joker:
cmsms is good for adding any number of "content" blocks wherever you want on the page. these can be blocks of text, blocks of html, blocks of php, blocks of smarty code, even blocks of other blocks (they probably don't refer to them as blocks). blocks can be static, blocks can be editable.-nudone (January 28, 2011, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

While it's only on the "my list of things to experiment with" list, at this stage. I'd also recommend CMS made simple based on what I've seen so far...it is indeed simple (to use). Straight forward WYSIWYG style content creation, with all the fancy stuff tucked away (but readily accessible) so as not to intimidate the user. And it's free as I understand.

I think I'll look into seeing if I can run WAMP along with WIMP though.-Renegade (January 28, 2011, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... (How should I put this) ...I'd rather be burned alive than have to contend with patch levels on two entirely different routes to the same end in a production environment. Apache & IIS together, I suspect would leave one wanting to tear off their own head. Or it could be just me ... But I've never had any trouble doing anything I wanted to with IIS (which I've been at for a decade).

I am however a hugh fan of MySQL (with PHPMyAdmin) which works brilliantly with/on IIS.

Renegade:
cmsms is good for adding any number of "content" blocks wherever you want on the page. these can be blocks of text, blocks of html, blocks of php, blocks of smarty code, even blocks of other blocks (they probably don't refer to them as blocks). blocks can be static, blocks can be editable.-nudone (January 28, 2011, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

While it's only on the "my list of things to experiment with" list, at this stage. I'd also recommend CMS made simple based on what I've seen so far...it is indeed simple (to use). Straight forward WYSIWYG style content creation, with all the fancy stuff tucked away (but readily accessible) so as not to intimidate the user. And it's free as I understand.

I think I'll look into seeing if I can run WAMP along with WIMP though.-Renegade (January 28, 2011, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... (How should I put this) ...I'd rather be burned alive than have to contend with patch levels on two entirely different routes to the same end in a production environment. Apache & IIS together, I suspect would leave one wanting to tear off their own head. Or it could be just me ... But I've never had any trouble doing anything I wanted to with IIS (which I've been at for a decade).

I am however a hugh fan of MySQL (with PHPMyAdmin) which works brilliantly with/on IIS.
-Stoic Joker (January 28, 2011, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like CMSMS is my first on the list to play with & check out.

For the A in WAMP... well... I screwed up with my new server. I should have gone with VMware as the OS. But, it's Windows...

Problem is, I have limited funds, and I need to make the most of what I have. My $erver $pending is already ob$cene.

I just don't have the time or resources to redo the server. Lesson learned... Sigh...

Stoic Joker:
*Shrug* Don't know that I ever met one I couldn't talk off a ledge... How screwed-up is which part?

rgdot:
Very well described by Stoic Joker

all the fancy stuff tucked away (but readily accessible) so as not to intimidate the user
--- End quote ---

However as soon as you get into adding modules you are almost guaranteeing problems at the next upgrade. Of course this is true for most if not all but *in my experience* it is more so with CMSms. I have tried to stay away from most of the fancy stuff and and use it as a sort of stripped down page creator.

Renegade:
*Shrug* Don't know that I ever met one I couldn't talk off a ledge... How screwed-up is which part?
-Stoic Joker (January 28, 2011, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a multi-proc machine and has tons of power. I should have installed VMware then installed Windows and Linux. It's the last time I'll make that mistake. Basically, to fix the problem I'd have to wipe it then reinstall everything. That's time consuming, especially as it's already working and I've have to move everything off to another server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version